FANDOM


  • As most of you probably know by now: For a long period of time on this wiki, I was subjected to to things no person should ever have to endure, in the form of harassment, taunts, threats and online bullying. One of the perpetrators was a former admin and bureaucrat; not only was he a bully, he repeatedly let others get away with bullying and harassment, because they were his friends. All of this has made me think: Our rules about user conduct are not good enough. We do need something to make harassment and abuse of power more difficult to get away with.

    This is a suggestion for a new set of rules. They are more detailed and more specific, with specific examples. They also elaborate on the responsibilities of an admin/bureaucrat and clearly state what they are not allowed to do. I've added comments to some of them, set in cursive.

    • The rules about user behavior are not meant to be all inclusive and each occurrence will be looked at individually, with room for discretion. (I don't think black and white rules area a good idea; we should look at these situations on a case by case basis.)
    • Everyone should have the right to feel safe and comfortable on this wiki. All users, regardless of status, are required to show the utmost respect to others at all times. No slander, harassment or insults will be tolerated at any time. (This is the current rule about user conduct.).
      • Examples of actions which will not be tolerated include but are not limited to: bullying (whether it's overt or subtle), taunts, mocking, making fun of other users, scornful remarks, sarcasm intended to hurt or offend, threats, blackmail, snide comments, giving unwarranted constant criticism of another user’s work or behavior, and making fun of people by calling them out on minor mistakes, such as typos or incorrect grammar.
    • The rules on this website applies to everyone; neither bureaucrats, admins or other staff members are exempt from the rules.
    • The objective of admins and staff is to enforce the rules to every user. It is strictly forbidden for admins and staff to willfully ignore it when someone breaks the rules, or give preferential treatment by deliberately letting a user escape warning or penalty for breaking the rules or give them an unreasonably mild penalty compared to other users.
    • The rules of proper user conduct apply to every aspect of this wiki, including warnings and blocks. Warnings and penalties are to be delivered in a polite and respectful manner; being overly aggressive or making fun of the recipient is not allowed. For example: A warning like "You have offended multiple users with your behavior and it needs to stop" is acceptable, but a warning like "stop acting like an idiot who enjoys embarrassing themselves in front of others" is unacceptable.
    • Admins and staff members are to treat other users as their equals, not their subjects. Divaesque behavior, such as having personal rules that you expect people to follow as if they're the wiki's rules or universal rules, is not permitted, nor is it permitted to punish users for actions which are not against the rules. (For example, the bureaucrat that I mentioned earlier would repeatedly fly into a fit of rage and admonish people if they misunderstood him or dropped to the wrong conclusion about him, something that is completely unacceptable and inappropriate.)
    • Delivering negative sanctions or punishing someone for exposing or bringing up serious issues such as bullying or harassment is not permitted. No one should be afraid to talk about or make others aware of what happened to them, or another user. Similarly, although only staff members can issue actual warnings, regular users are allowed to speak out against injustice. Admins and staff members are not allowed to punish or block someone for taking the victim's side or speaking out if they feel that a person, whether they're staff members or regular users, is treating someone cruelly. (The first two times I exposed the bullying I was subjected to, I was punished and shouted down, something that no person should ever be subjected to. In addition, a couple of people have told me about incidents where they saw someone being badly treated by the aforementioned bureaucrat, but were too afraid to speak out. This is something that needs to end right now.)
    • Similarly, it is not, in any way, permitted to deliver negative sanctions for reporting a violation of the rules (this applies to both staff and regular users). People should be allowed to report any problem without fear of retaliation. Retaliating by punishing the person or telling them off for reporting you or another user is forbidden. This is a wiki, not a schoolyard. This means that should you or a fellow user be on the receiving end of a report by another user, it is not acceptable behavior for you to use the chat or wall messaging to intimidate, confront, or argue with the user about what was reported. (I, personally, have been bombarded with taunts, accusations and verbal abuse by a user because I reported a friend of theirs for breaking the rules, something I thought I would never experience here.)

    What do you think?

      Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agreed

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree. Some of the discussions in the forums and what to edit can get pretty heated and pretty much degrades into hurtful talk after a while. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • "I don't think black and white rules area a good idea; we should look at these situations on a case by case basis"

      This sounds like a direct quote from me XD

      I generally agree, as I had a hand in shaping this needed update :D

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I agree. Personally, I’m partial to certain levels of sarcasm and snark, but I do understand that much is lost when the medium by which it’s deliver has changed (voice versus text).

      I’d say that the warnings and penalties are a bit at a disadvantage when it comes to fairness due to staff discretion. If someone’s being rude, I might leave a warning on the thread, might delete the posts and leave a warning on the thread, or delete the posts and leave a warning on both thread and wall. I guess it doesn’t fall under “unreasonable” with any large deviation between the actions.

      Though with different wiki/forum/chat volume, I guess much of those concerns aren’t as largely relevant as before.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Lukas Exemplar
      Lukas Exemplar removed this reply because:
      Because it was a dumb comment. Sorry.
      13:27, January 11, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • agree

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Utter solitude wrote: "I don't think black and white rules area a good idea; we should look at these situations on a case by case basis"

      This sounds like a direct quote from me XD

      I generally agree, as I had a hand in shaping this needed update :D

      Uh, yeah, I took that from you. I assumed you wouldn't mind...?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Agree as well.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Why was my comment deleted? Was it because it was not really constructive?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Lukas Exemplar wrote: Why was my comment deleted? Was it because it was not really constructive?

      You deleted it.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Schroeswald wrote:

      Lukas Exemplar wrote: Why was my comment deleted? Was it because it was not really constructive?

      You deleted it.

      Oh, haha :D

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I agree. I know a lot of time poeple don't mean to be rude, but like Eskaver said, sometimes it's hard to joke and have fun when others can't tell the tone of our words.

      I think it should be especially important for staff to be careful of this since it can scare off new comers and put others off if they think they are being attacked. A wink face or something goes a long way sometimes. 

      Also, I'm sure it goes without saying, but this wiki shouldn't be a place to talk about politics, religion, sexuality etc unless it's in direct relation to the character or subject and never in a way to hurt someone.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Saintfighteraqua wrote:
      I agree.

      I know a lot of time poeple don't mean to be rude, but like Eskaver said, sometimes it's hard to joke and have fun when others can't tell the tone of our words.

      I think it should be especially important for staff to be careful of this since it can scare off new comers and put others off if they think they are being attacked. A wink face or something goes a long way sometimes. 

      Also, I'm sure it goes without saying, but this wiki shouldn't be a place to talk about politics, religion, sexuality etc unless it's in direct relation to the character or subject and never in a way to hurt someone.

      There are some unacceptable things about that. If someone's being homophobic it's discrimination, so if someone's homophobic/racist/sexist he/she should be expecting hate comments.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Truest Believer wrote:

      Saintfighteraqua wrote:
      I agree.

      I know a lot of time poeple don't mean to be rude, but like Eskaver said, sometimes it's hard to joke and have fun when others can't tell the tone of our words.

      I think it should be especially important for staff to be careful of this since it can scare off new comers and put others off if they think they are being attacked. A wink face or something goes a long way sometimes. 

      Also, I'm sure it goes without saying, but this wiki shouldn't be a place to talk about politics, religion, sexuality etc unless it's in direct relation to the character or subject and never in a way to hurt someone.

      There are some unacceptable things about that. If someone's being homophobic it's discrimination, so if someone's homophobic/racist/sexist he/she should be expecting hate comments.

      That's not entirely true. Two wrongs don't make a right, and no one has ever had their mind change from being treated rudely. If someone is posting something offensive, harassing someone, etc., the admins will deal with it. There is zero reason for users to engage them aggressively; it will only ever escalate the situation and likely result in more required action by the admins.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • The rules have now been updated. Thanks for your input, everyone :-)

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • There is a big difference between discussing someone's ideas and beliefs, and insulting them as a person. It is possible to say "I disagree with _____", but sometimes it's hard when it's something that hits a nerve.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Utter solitude wrote: There is a big difference between discussing someone's ideas and beliefs, and insulting them as a person. It is possible to say "I disagree with _____", but sometimes it's hard when it's something that hits a nerve.

      Of course. But it's not like we can add an exception to the rules that people are allowed to be rude if they feel offended. Like I said, two wrongs don't make a right; acting rudely towards someone who has offended you accomplishes nothing except make the discussion more toxic. Offensive statements should already be against the rules, so any user who has said anything homophobic/racist/etc. should be warned and/or banned as necessary; there is no reason for any other users to engage.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • That was my point. But we also can't discourage people from voicing their opinions, even if we disagree with them. There's a right way to do it, but it's not something that can be made black and white, ya know?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Saintfighteraqua
      Saintfighteraqua removed this reply because:
      didn't add anything real.
      22:18, January 20, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • A Spy in the Mirror
        Preparing Editor Spell
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.