FANDOM


  • We currently have many new pages being created and many people disagree with what we consider a "minor" character, item, etc. We also don't have any official rules of how we handle what to a make a page for.

    I suggest that we have a checklist and it has to pass at least four (three for items and locations) of the qualifications to have its own page:

    1. Appeared at least once
    2. Has appeared more than once
    3. Has significance in an episode (Is it important?)
    4. Has been mentioned at least twice
    5. Has a name
    6. Would be remembered (meaning like a random knight woundn't fit because it isn't even debatable they would be remembered)
    7. [Only for characters] Has a relation to a character (family is important 😘)
    8. It is based on a character from literature, film, etc

    And...

    9. Would it have enough content for its page? Trivia, history, etc. The page must have at least two paragraphs of history or 200 words

    If it doesn't qualify 9 the page creation may be in question.

    Briar Rose would pass because she fits 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8

    FGM 2 would also pass because she fits 1, 4, 5, 6, and 8

    Thoughts, ideas?

      Preparing Editor Spell
    • That is a good list, Nick.

      I can't speak for everyone else, but generally, I think it's easiest to decide this on a case by case basis. Personally, I think we may be too strict when it comes to what deserves a page and what doesn't, but also, not every case is clear cut; some are definitely debatable, while others are relatively easy to decide. So, based on what they say in "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", we could consider this as guidelines, but not actual rules.

      Hmm? Lily's spoken ;-)

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I agree with Lily, these are good things to look at when thinking about creating a page. My imagining of the process is if the element only meets one or two then don't make, if it fits five or six then it should have happened before, four you should probably make it and see what happens, three bring it up for debate if you think one or two of the checks should count for more.

      Also we do have rules, I'm too lazy to link to it but there's a link in the FAQ, but the summary is major-to-minor elements=yes!, background elements=no, but this helps define what a background element is.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I'm going to give an example of what I mean by three checks, say Oaken (who doesn't have a page), he appears once, has a name and is dry memorable giving him three checks, but he might not be considered significant in his episode. If someone thinks that his high memorability qualifies him for a page they'd bring him up to the Pages to Create thread (my minds blanking on the name) and there would be a discussion on whether or his memorability is high enough to make up for the significance. For say David's Car, it fits 1 and two, a composite three, with a maybe in six, but since the wiki has decided that for vehicles frequent appearances make up for the composite three and maybe in six.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I'm fine with guidelines.

      Based on the recent pages Schroeswald has made:

      Gorgie - 1 and 5

      Blacksmith - 1, 6, and 7

      Auntie Em - 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I think that some qualifications are more important than others, 2,3 andare the most important. Frequent appearances and significance are very important and meeting those practically guarantees fitting four total. Five and six are also good, the more likely for you to have a name or be looked up the more likely for a character to be used. One, four and seven are additional things that would be remembered for boosting the others.

      Also for the Adoption Agent One, Three, Six and arguably seven.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Does it matter if some are more important than others? All of them are key parts are what makes a character important snd having at least four I think is fair and makes sense.

      I don't think the adoption agents are important enough to have their own pages, honestly. And I doubt they would pass the guidelines.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I think that you should amend number seven to say important relation with a significant character, meaning Mob Girl and Skinny man don’t check each other off but neither does Adalyn’s sister or Poole’s relationship with Hyde (Hyde is a significant character but the relationship isn’t).

      I do think some characters that do deserve pages don’t fit all of these criteria, example the Duke, who meets one, three and six, but his relationship with Helga isn’t enough and the Duke of Weselton isn’t really a name, however his significance and memorability mean that yeah, let’s count the Duke of Weselton as a name. Other example Floyd, he meets 1,2 and 5 but not the others, however he appears so often that we should double-count two.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Schroeswald wrote: I think that you should amend number seven to say important relation with a significant character, meaning Mob Girl and Skinny man don’t check each other off but neither does Adalyn’s sister or Poole’s relationship with Hyde (Hyde is a significant character but the relationship isn’t).

      I do think some characters that do deserve pages don’t fit all of these criteria, example the Duke, who meets one, three and six, but his relationship with Helga isn’t enough and the Duke of Weselton isn’t really a name, however his significance and memorability mean that yeah, let’s count the Duke of Weselton as a name. Other example Floyd, he meets 1,2 and 5 but not the others, however he appears so often that we should double-count two.

      That's why we said those were guidelines.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I would say at least 3 would be better and wouod fit more. The new list on your page, Schroeswald, is much better and I think almost all of those should get a page.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • On what I have, I’ll work on making pages for everything with four-plus (I’ll hope that other people help me, especially with items and locations) and suggest all the threes on the Adding new pages thread.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Should we delete Gordie and Adoption Agent (Save Henry) since they don't fit the guidelines and are overall small characters?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • The discussion on Gordie is Ongoing, this policies three votes isn’t really adopted yet and I do think that the Adoption Agent fits.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • As far as I see, Adoption Agent only fits 1 and debately 7. That's only two.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • And Gordie only fits 1 and 5

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • IMO, a character that was credited as guest star should have a page, no matter how minor his role was

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I disagree.

      If we needed a guide for creating a page for a character, we would have it a long time ago.

      We don’t need a rule or a guide for this. We only have to ask ourselves one question: What difference would it make if this character is not in the List of Minor Characters page?. So basically speaking, this includes their history section, appearance box and trivial information. The best example for this is Gordie for example (as much as I know in the wiki).

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Matheus1234zx wrote: IMO, a character that was credited as guest star should have a page, no matter how minor his role was

      I really want to think that, I really do, that’s why I added all of them to my list, but really I can’t see any justification for the Captain (Swan Song) and Dr. Thatcher, and I had to rip myself away from the Jailer but there isn’t much that would belong on his page(the rest I am trying to create).

      CadoDoan wrote: I disagree.

      If we needed a guide for creating a page for a character, we would have it a long time ago.

      We don’t need a rule or a guide for this. We only have to ask ourselves one question: What difference would it make if this character is not in the List of Minor Characters page?. So basically speaking, this includes their history section, appearance box and trivial information. The best example for this is Gordie for example (as much as I know in the wiki).

      Oh come on Cado, will having a guide hurt anything? Having a page for things that will be frequently looked up is helpful for navigation, yes there might not be much more information but having a page makes finding stuff easier, the Appearances look better, you have all the vital information in an infobox and when you search for it you don’t have to find it on the List page. Deciding on a case by case basis will still be going on but it just makes it easier to cite reasons, instead of explaining why they don’t deserve a page you can just say, it only fits 1 and 4 so no page.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Schroeswald wrote:

      Matheus1234zx wrote: IMO, a character that was credited as guest star should have a page, no matter how minor his role was

      I really want to think that, I really do, that’s why I added all of them to my list, but really I can’t see any justification for the Captain (Swan Song) and Dr. Thatcher, and I had to rip myself away from the Jailer but there isn’t much that would belong on his page(the rest I am trying to create).

      CadoDoan wrote: I disagree.

      If we needed a guide for creating a page for a character, we would have it a long time ago.

      We don’t need a rule or a guide for this. We only have to ask ourselves one question: What difference would it make if this character is not in the List of Minor Characters page?. So basically speaking, this includes their history section, appearance box and trivial information. The best example for this is Gordie for example (as much as I know in the wiki).

      Oh come on Cado, will having a guide hurt anything? Having a page for things that will be frequently looked up is helpful for navigation, yes there might not be much more information but having a page makes finding stuff easier, the Appearances look better, you have all the vital information in an infobox and when you search for it you don’t have to find it on the List page. Deciding on a case by case basis will still be going on but it just makes it easier to cite reasons, instead of explaining why they don’t deserve a page you can just say, it only fits 1 and 4 so no page.

      Because the way I see it, you're just trying to give a page for even very minor characters because you feel that way. Don't get me wrong, I know it's your personal opinion. But a page with a short history and nothing else will look empty and look very bad. Like there's something missing about the character, but it's also not, due to the character being so so minor. That's what I'm talking about.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Matheus1234zx wrote:
      IMO, a character that was credited as guest star should have a page, no matter how minor his role was

      I agree with this. However, the guidelines are a good way to decide if a costar (or even character that never appeared *cough*Briar Rose*cough*) should get a page or not. I would include one other guideline: The character is based on a character from literature, film, etc. In my opinion, part of the point of Once is they adapt things from various sources, and that should be taken into acount when we create pages.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • CoolDudeAl wrote:

      Matheus1234zx wrote:
      IMO, a character that was credited as guest star should have a page, no matter how minor his role was

      I agree with this. However, the guidelines are a good way to decide if a costar (or even character that never appeared *cough*Briar Rose*cough*) should get a page or not. I would include one other guideline: The character is based on a character from literature, film, etc. In my opinion, part of the point of Once is they adapt things from various sources, and that should be taken into acount when we create pages.

      Yeah, we can add that.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I agreed to that and updated my user page and then I realized I never actually posted my reply! XD

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I would say items and locations only need 3 since #7 doesn't relate to them.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Nick Branson
      Nick Branson removed this reply because:
      This is not the place to do it
      05:48, December 27, 2018
      This reply has been removed
    • I've added an ninth thing that is to have enough content on its page. It will not be apart of the other eight things but an essential extra.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • A Spy in the Mirror
        Preparing Editor Spell
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.