FANDOM


  • So I have a theory based on today's episode. Let me know what you think:

    I think The Dragon is Mulan's father. The fact that he is still not even given a name, despite an interesting line from Emma (It would be easier to find him if we knew his name), makes me think the name would give away who he is. Mulan's father would have a name, and we would recognize it. Also, The Dragon is also an older man, which fits with the Mulan story (her father was too old to fight in the war), and the part about losing his daughter could be tied into Mulan's status of being a lesbian on the show. It would be interesting to see Mulan try to tell her father about her sexuality, and him rejecting her for it. Also, it would allow both The Dragon and Mulan to get a backstory episode, because one episode would be both their backstories. Another interesting thing is Mulan and The Dragon were both introduced in Season 2. Many of you will probably say this would be a big departure from the Disney movie Mulan, and my answer to that is they may base her more on the legend version of Mulan, where I think many of these things would make more sense. Interestingly enough, one version of the story actually has Mulan kill herself. While this seems pretty dark for Once, the way they have set up the character, a suicide would not be completely out of the question. Anyway, the name of Mulan's father is Hua Hu in one written adaptation and Fa Zhou in the Disney version, so if The Dragon gets his name revealed as either of those, we know he is Mulan's father. If you want to see more about the Mulan legend, here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Mulan

      Preparing Editor Spell
    • I immediately thought he was either Lilly's father or Mulan's. He could definitely be Fa Zhou... Though I'm still not convinced his name isn't Fa Mushu.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      I immediately thought he was either Lilly's father or Mulan's. He could definitely be Fa Zhou... Though I'm still not convinced his name isn't Fa Mushu.

      Now I'm imagining the Evil Queen ordering him to kill Emma and Regina and then him turning into a dragon the size of Mushu with Eddie Murphys voice. That would have been....something.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I would totally welcome the Dragon being Mulan's father! Just as long as he isn't Lily's father, LOL. A girl who started off Latina, then turned Caucasian, and then revealed to have a Chinese father would be pretty problematic.

      But if A&E already know that they can get Jamie Chung back for the backhalf of the season, this is a good set-up. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I would prefer the Dragon being Mulan's father to Lily's any day, however I doubt they're even thinking of a Mulan story right now. The most likely option is Lily. Dragon father who lost a daughter? In my opinion it's almost 100% Lily.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Bgwinstonfc30 wrote:
      Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      I immediately thought he was either Lilly's father or Mulan's. He could definitely be Fa Zhou... Though I'm still not convinced his name isn't Fa Mushu.
      Now I'm imagining the Evil Queen ordering him to kill Emma and Regina and then him turning into a dragon the size of Mushu with Eddie Murphys voice. That would have been....something.

      To be fair the Dragon's color scheme in his dragon form is highly reminiscent of Mushu's. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in fact Mushu. Whether or not he's Fa Mushu, or Lilly's father, is what I think is still up in the air.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Edzz wrote:
      I would prefer the Dragon being Mulan's father to Lily's any day, however I doubt they're even thinking of a Mulan story right now. The most likely option is Lily. Dragon father who lost a daughter? In my opinion it's almost 100% Lily.

      But would Lily's father even know she exists? She was a product of a one night stand in dragon form and fell into the LWM while still inside the egg. It sounds like the Dragon did have a relationship with his daughter before he lost her and there's an actual backstory there. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • JennaMae wrote:
      Edzz wrote:
      I would prefer the Dragon being Mulan's father to Lily's any day, however I doubt they're even thinking of a Mulan story right now. The most likely option is Lily. Dragon father who lost a daughter? In my opinion it's almost 100% Lily.
      But would Lily's father even know she exists? She was a product of a one night stand in dragon form and fell into the LWM while still inside the egg. It sounds like the Dragon did have a relationship with his daughter before he lost her and there's an actual backstory there. 

      That for me is also the main reason I don't think he's Lilly's father. Even Maleficent didn't know who Lilly's father was, so how would the father?

      Though, and here's a possibility no one considered... What if Mulan and Lilly are half-sisters? No one ever said Henry's family tree had to be the only weird one lol

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Dragon being Mulan's father makes the most sense. She came out to her parents, and he rejected her, because the 'honor to us all' was lost. LGBT people wasn't accepted in Ancient Eastern Asian countries, and this story could reflect that. OUAT is so lack of an Asian story, so I think this is the best way to connect two unresolved existing Asian characters in one episode.

      Dragon being Lily's father is so humiliating to Lily's race. People could react.

      Jamie Chung is recurring on Gotham right now, but her character is unoriginal, non-canon in comics, so Valerie Vale seems to be created to be killed off. Maybe she could join Once at some point.

      By the way, Kristin van Bauer Straten has just retweeting lots of OUAT tweets relating to Maleficent and Evil Queen yesterday and today. Does she often do that? If she doesn't, I see that as a sign that she was connected to resume the role.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Ok, let's try to keep conjecture on this thread limited to how it relates to Mulan. Conjecture to relationship to Lily would be better on a different thread.

      Personally, I don't see the Dragon as Mulan's father. partially because Mulan was never looking for her father or her family. Now, if they do take the approach that Mulan revealed herself to her family (regarding her orientation) and was rejected, that would explain why Mulan was running. But tying the Dragon to that story leaves a lot of questions. Such as when Mulan became aware of her feelings, as I was under the impression that the revelation of Mulan's orientation was recent and was a direct result of travelling with Aurora, which kinda negates that story from a timeline perspective.

      Also, if The Dragon was Mulan's father, why was he in the LWM?

      Point is, while it is a nice theory, I don't see the Dragon as Mulan's father (though I can still see him as Mushu, or maybe one of the other Dragon elders)

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • While I agree that certain things could make more sense if he is Lily's father, like why he is in LWM (if he was looking for Lily), I still think him being Mulan's father could make more sense, and also doesn't make Lily's race even stranger (as JennaMae pointed out above, we already had weird things with the casting of teen and adult Lily, and then to add in that she is actually half-Asian would be even more problematic). Anyway, back to Mulan, I can see people's points that they may not want to do the coming out and rejection storyline with Mulan, but that doesn't have to be the only reason she was "lost" to her father. Maybe they got mad at Mulan for pretending to be a guy and joining the war; maybe Mulan doesn't believe in the powers of her ancestors, and so cannot assume a dragon form; maybe something else happened. Point is, I see a lot of story possiblities with Mulan and The Dragon and I'm not sure I see those with any other character, including Lily.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Fair enough. And you bring an interesting point about Mulan not believing in her ancestral powers and therefore is unable to assume her proper dragon form. Which could tie into a Lily narrative at the least, and even bring the LGBT story as well, if the writers developed a relationship between Lily and Mulan.

      Story goes like this... Mulan accompianies Red and Dorothy when they come to face off against Zelena, and that faceoff is quickly resolved. Dorothy and Red choose to settle down in Oz, but Mulan still wants adventure. She joins up with Emma, Regina, Mal, and Lily in search of Lily's Dad. In the process, Mulan reveals her own ancestry (including knowing about her dad the Dragon) and as the story progresses (at least over 2-3 episodes, Lily takes a liking to Mulan and helps her believe in her 'inner Dragon'. Eventually, they do find the rogue father and deal with him, but the real story would be the relationship that grows between Mulan and Lily.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote:
      Fair enough. And you bring an interesting point about Mulan not believing in her ancestral powers and therefore is unable to assume her proper dragon form. Which could tie into a Lily narrative at the least, and even bring the LGBT story as well, if the writers developed a relationship between Lily and Mulan.

      Story goes like this... Mulan accompianies Red and Dorothy when they come to face off against Zelena, and that faceoff is quickly resolved. Dorothy and Red choose to settle down in Oz, but Mulan still wants adventure. She joins up with Emma, Regina, Mal, and Lily in search of Lily's Dad. In the process, Mulan reveals her own ancestry (including knowing about her dad the Dragon) and as the story progresses (at least over 2-3 episodes, Lily takes a liking to Mulan and helps her believe in her 'inner Dragon'. Eventually, they do find the rogue father and deal with him, but the real story would be the relationship that grows between Mulan and Lily.

      Yes, and many said they were getting lesbian vibes off of Lily, so maybe pairing Mulan and Lily (and also making them both dragon shapeshifters) would be a good way to give both of them a happy ending, while also resolving any remaining plot threads with them, like Mulan's backstory and Lily's father. Actually, I'm liking this idea a lot, and now I kind of really want it to happen. XD

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I actually think it would be best for him to have no daughter that we know of. If we go by vague details, I can see how he can be Mulan's father, but Mulan never referenced her parents and she barely references her story. (That's an untold Story!)

      I think it would kill Mulan's standing for me if she wasn't a woman who stood up and defied societal norms to bring honor to her family and save her people, but instead a powerful dragon who just lol'ed her way through life (without knowing) in some weird romantic sitcom. I trailed off a bit. XD

      And that way I don't have to think about Dragon Girl, Wolf Girl and Bear Girl being some random thought in the writers' room.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Well... A huge theory surrounding Mulan's Disney self is that she herself was the Great Stone Dragon that Mushu was sent to awaken. Her Once self not only being Mushu's daughter but also a dragon herself would be a nice nod to that theory. It could just be that only the children of two dragons (or a child who was laid in an egg like Lily) can become a dragon, and Mulan just wasn't given the Dragon gene.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Wasn't Homosexuality (LGBT) normal in East Asia culture, was it? You can find many old gay arts in Ancient China, Medivial China & Victorian China. When Western arrived in East Asia during 19th century, they imposed their christianity into them. Therefore, Homosexuality (LGBT) became unacceptable then. 


      More infomation: 

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_China

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I want him to be Mulan's father just to have finally a backstory episode for her! (but I honestly don't think he was referring to Mulan...)

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I disagree with this theory, and lean more towards the Lily theory. Another potential counterargument is that Jamie Chung is currently recurring on Gotham this Season, so that puts the actress' availability into question. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • LeonKingg wrote:
      Wasn't Homosexuality (LGBT) normal in East Asia culture, was it? You can find many old gay arts in Ancient China, Medivial China & Victorian China. When Western arrived in East Asia during 19th century, they imposed their christianity into them. Therefore, Homosexuality (LGBT) became unacceptable then. 


      More infomation: 

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_China

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan

      I clarified later, Mulan's status as LGBT may not be the reason her father "lost" her. And while certain regions of the world during certain time periods have been more LGBT friendly, I still imagine there was some family drama that would happen between a parent and their LGBT child, as almost all societies had an expectation that their children would provide heirs for the bloodline, and obviously, if someone refuses to have sex with someone of the opposite sex, that makes producing heirs kind of hard.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I believe the Dragon's age was mentioned as a factor. However, I would like to point out that he was not in Storybrooke during the curse. He must have left EF before the curse and thus spent 30 years in the LWM. If he is currently around 60, he would only be around 30 at the time of the curse (assuming his dragon-like abilities do not affect his age). This would make him too close in age to Mulan to be her father, but the perfect age to be Lily's father. He could very well be Mushu. This fits into the plot perfectly. Mulan met Phillip a few years before the curse. They went off to find Aurora. They needed to get past Maleficent and needed another daragon's help. This somehow could have led to a one night stand between dragon and Mal 9 months before the curse and resulted in Lily's birth. The dragon could've come to the LWM before the curse looking for Lily, but failed at finding her. He then took residence in China and became a doctor.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Begfhn wrote:
      I believe the Dragon's age was mentioned as a factor. However, I would like to point out that he was not in Storybrooke during the curse. He must have left EF before the curse and thus spent 30 years in the LWM. If he is currently around 60, he would only be around 30 at the time of the curse (assuming his dragon-like abilities do not affect his age). This would make him too close in age to Mulan to be her father, but the perfect age to be Lily's father. He could very well be Mushu. This fits into the plot perfectly. Mulan met Phillip a few years before the curse. They went off to find Aurora. They needed to get past Maleficent and needed another daragon's help. This somehow could have led to a one night stand between dragon and Mal 9 months before the curse and resulted in Lily's birth. The dragon could've come to the LWM before the curse looking for Lily, but failed at finding her. He then took residence in China and became a doctor.

      Age could work differently. As for whever side comment Rumple made, Maleficent had a tree burning for half a century, I think. The Apprentice lived for five hundred plus years (aged to an old man and still lived life). Jiminy is like 80+ years old (even without the curse). I think it isn't beyond magic to have the Dragon be Mulan's father.

      (And technically noone FTL or related so far aged during the curse).

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Begfhn wrote:
      I believe the Dragon's age was mentioned as a factor. However, I would like to point out that he was not in Storybrooke during the curse. He must have left EF before the curse and thus spent 30 years in the LWM. If he is currently around 60, he would only be around 30 at the time of the curse (assuming his dragon-like abilities do not affect his age). This would make him too close in age to Mulan to be her father, but the perfect age to be Lily's father. He could very well be Mushu. This fits into the plot perfectly. Mulan met Phillip a few years before the curse. They went off to find Aurora. They needed to get past Maleficent and needed another daragon's help. This somehow could have led to a one night stand between dragon and Mal 9 months before the curse and resulted in Lily's birth. The dragon could've come to the LWM before the curse looking for Lily, but failed at finding her. He then took residence in China and became a doctor.

      Based on Mal, dragons may not age the same as normal humans, and we also don't know when or how The Dragon got to LWM. Without these pieces of information, it is hard to tell, but I would lean towards the option that he has probably been older for a while.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      Begfhn wrote:
      I believe the Dragon's age was mentioned as a factor. However, I would like to point out that he was not in Storybrooke during the curse. He must have left EF before the curse and thus spent 30 years in the LWM. If he is currently around 60, he would only be around 30 at the time of the curse (assuming his dragon-like abilities do not affect his age). This would make him too close in age to Mulan to be her father, but the perfect age to be Lily's father. He could very well be Mushu. This fits into the plot perfectly. Mulan met Phillip a few years before the curse. They went off to find Aurora. They needed to get past Maleficent and needed another daragon's help. This somehow could have led to a one night stand between dragon and Mal 9 months before the curse and resulted in Lily's birth. The dragon could've come to the LWM before the curse looking for Lily, but failed at finding her. He then took residence in China and became a doctor.
      Age could work differently. As for whever side comment Rumple made, Maleficent had a tree burning for half a century, I think. The Apprentice lived for five hundred plus years (aged to an old man and still lived life). Jiminy is like 80+ years old (even without the curse). I think it isn't beyond magic to have the Dragon be Mulan's father.

      (And technically noone FTL or related so far aged during the curse).


      Emma, Lily, and Pinocchio all age during the curse. Since he is a dragon, I'll ignore the age factor. But Mulan's father being a dragon doesn't sound right. He is supposed to be old and weak. If he is a dragon there is no reason he cannot fight in the war instead of Mulan, assuming we're going by the disney story. Also, the Mulan story probably only took place a few years before the curse, based on her age. She is not a dragon. If the dragon is Lily's father, we know he left the EF right before the curse.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Begfhn wrote:
      Eskaver wrote:
      Begfhn wrote:
      I believe the Dragon's age was mentioned as a factor. However, I would like to point out that he was not in Storybrooke during the curse. He must have left EF before the curse and thus spent 30 years in the LWM. If he is currently around 60, he would only be around 30 at the time of the curse (assuming his dragon-like abilities do not affect his age). This would make him too close in age to Mulan to be her father, but the perfect age to be Lily's father. He could very well be Mushu. This fits into the plot perfectly. Mulan met Phillip a few years before the curse. They went off to find Aurora. They needed to get past Maleficent and needed another daragon's help. This somehow could have led to a one night stand between dragon and Mal 9 months before the curse and resulted in Lily's birth. The dragon could've come to the LWM before the curse looking for Lily, but failed at finding her. He then took residence in China and became a doctor.
      Age could work differently. As for whever side comment Rumple made, Maleficent had a tree burning for half a century, I think. The Apprentice lived for five hundred plus years (aged to an old man and still lived life). Jiminy is like 80+ years old (even without the curse). I think it isn't beyond magic to have the Dragon be Mulan's father.

      (And technically noone FTL or related so far aged during the curse).


      Emma, Lily, and Pinocchio all age during the curse. Since he is a dragon, I'll ignore the age factor. But Mulan's father being a dragon doesn't sound right. He is supposed to be old and weak. If he is a dragon there is no reason he cannot fight in the war instead of Mulan, assuming we're going by the disney story. Also, the Mulan story probably only took place a few years before the curse, based on her age. She is not a dragon. If the dragon is Lily's father, we know he left the EF right before the curse.

      Nothing stops the magic of Plot. Things works both ways for both:

      Lily: Pros (both dragons, no weird aging, storyline); Cons (biology, lazy)

      Mulan: Pros (biology, new storyline); Cons (random)

      The precursor story effects Once very little or a whole lot, depending on what they feel like. Remember, Rapunzel didn't have golden hair. Plus, this is a show where the Evil Queen hates Snow for an entirely different reason.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Confirmed: The Dragon is NOT the father of Lily. Straight from A&E's mouths.

      So I'm betting all my chips on The Dragon being another amalgam character, being Mushu and Fa Zhou (Disney Mulan's dad). Hell, maybe they'll name him Hua Mushu (Hua being the spelling of Mythic Mulan's surname)?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Given that statement, I'm more inclined to agree with this theory. It's better than them never covering who his daughter is, or his daughter being a brand new character.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • My theory is that unlike the movie, where Fa Zhou was so proud of Mulan for saving everyone, The Dragon had a much more real world reaction (for the time) and shunned her for disobidience once she returned, even if she did so to save him and their family. Or as we speculated earlier in this thread, it could've been about her sexuality. But I think it makes Mulan's story so much more tragic if it was the disobidience thing.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I still doubt it would be about her sexuality because the writers stated that they wanted to make LGBTQWERTY relationships normal in their world (hence why everyone's kind of just "oh cool it's love" with Ruby/Dorothy).

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I was pretty sure that The Dragon was Mulan's father ever since he mentioned his lost daughter. And while everyone above raises good points, I'm still convinced that he's Fa Zhou. It would be a great storyline, and things like age aren't really a problem in a show like this. I mean, several human characters have lived impossibly long---what's so unbelievable about a dragon's life span?

      I would not object to him being Mushu, though. That sounds like a really fun storyline, especially if he has a family not mentioned in the movie.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I agree, I definitely see the Dragon being Mulan's father, but also Mushu. Him being both characters would be very interesting. As well as tying together Mulan and Lily. To me it seems like the directors really like the Mulan character and would want to bring her back, if she is available, which at the moment it seems like she is. This obviously won't happen for season 6, but hopefully the potential season 7. Also this is kind of unrelated, but The Dragon always reminded me of the old Chinese guy from Gremlins. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Guys the first moment i saw  The dragon in this Tv Series  he was mine favorite charchter and the reason i watch    OUAT,because he  remineds  alot of Gandalf the gray and   Sensei Hamato Splinter both wise and warrior charchters,and like many on this threads i to see The Dragon as Mulans father because maybe because in OUATvrres dragons are shapeshifters maybe Mulans generation has skiped her so she cannot  use her dragon  powers  in similar way how it happend in Disney American dragon Jake Long  series were daughter of Chiness dragon was skiped so she dosent have any powers but her childern do have them, or Mulan hasnt yet achived a full  adulthood of a dragon so that then she can awaken her powers like how when charchters reach 18 or 22 years they then awaken there magical powers.So because season 7 is confirmd from the writters and ABC i think we will finale see The Dragon and Mulan  together ,as for  Liliy as a said on other threads and disscusion because of introduction of Vikings in 6x15 and Beowulf 6x13 but also minor introductions of Norse mythology in previous seasons  they can finaly  introduce Nigghok,Fafnir and Beowulf dragon all this 3 are and have European dragon forms to introduce Liliys Father.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • And as for Mulans sexuality i think that  chould be the  reason why something bad happend beetwen The  Dragon and Mulan because when sombody in your family is a lesbian or a gay it brings a terrible shame upon him especily if  yor family or parents value the Code of  Honor,Ninjitsu way or Bushido because theres ancestors ay have been great Warriors but also because your children are gay or lesbian they can never have there own kids so your familys bloodline ends with them.So in a way if this part will apear as a reason in Season 7 about The Dragon being reaveald as Mulans father ( wich i hope so  ),i whould totally agree with The dragon because he is right being a Lesbian or Gay you cannot have your own children and because you come from a Warrior Samurai family that is a great  shame and dishnonor not only upon your self ut to your whole family,so maybe ana Ancestors spirits punished Mulan for becoming LGBT by blocking or taking  her dragons powers,because in Jake Long Disney american Dragon series Dragon  Councile had power to do that.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Tzi Ma (the actor who portrays the Dragon) is going to play Mulan's father in the live Disney remake.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Lola987 wrote: Tzi Ma (the actor who portrays the Dragon) is going to play Mulan's father in the live Disney remake.

      That’s so cool! It’s like they just shivved Once in the back and got something good out of it.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • A Spy in the Mirror
        Preparing Editor Spell
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.