FANDOM


  • I just finished catching up with OUaT a few days ago and I wanted to talk about Henry being the next Author.

    I have conflicting feelings. For one, he's never shown an interest in writing, only reading (which, to be fair, a lot of writers do read a lot lol, but still). Many people read and never write. For another though, it fits the story really well. This show is, in some way, all about fairy tale clichés and whatnot, so in that sense, it fits for Henry to be the Author, y'know?

    IDK. I want to be swayed one way or the other. What do y'all think?

      Preparing Editor Spell
    • Well, it was heavily hinted and and sort of predictable to me after the Author was introduced.

      I agree! I just realized that you made a point I never saw before. Henry only reads, not write. I'm already calling plot hole simply because most readers aren't writers and Henry has never expressed the interest in writing anything! I mean at least Isaac (the previous author) was an amateur writer.

      They gave the role to Henry because it was the only logical choice, maybe besides August. They increased Henry's forgotten relevance and after episode 1 when Henry regrets breaking the quill (This is my prediction, totally random.), he'll decrease in relevance until his life is put in danger.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      Well, it was heavily hinted and and sort of predictable to me after the Author was introduced.

      I agree! I just realized that you made a point I never saw before. Henry only reads, not write. I'm already calling plot hole simply because most readers aren't writers and Henry has never expressed the interest in writing anything! I mean at least Isaac (the previous author) was an amateur writer.

      They gave the role to Henry because it was the only logical choice, maybe besides August. They increased Henry's forgotten relevance and after episode 1 when Henry regrets breaking the quill (This is my prediction, totally random.), he'll decrease in relevance until his life is put in danger.

      AHHH SHIZZ IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT FOR IT TO HAVE GONE TO AUGUST! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT. 

      THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER ARGH :@

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I don't get your point. Because Henry never shows any interest in writing, it is a problem that he is the Author? That's not because they never showed it, that it is not true. Maybe Henry like writing? Who knows? We don't know what he did during his childhood or during the missing year. Maybe he tried to write his own fairytale? It would not surprised me. Again, that's not because they did not show it that it is not true to me.

      Then, yes. We all saw it coming, and it was the most logical choice. I'm happy that Henry is the new author, and A&E said he do Author stuff this season ^^

      Finally Eskaver, "This is my prediction, totally random." Not true. It was said a lot of times by A&E that Henry would regret it since a moment now ^^

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Maybe Henry wrote a fan fiction. Anyway, I don't like his character, though he is already useless so I'm glad they gave him something to do, his role as author was really predictable, considering his love for this... history, and he was always close to the book.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Oh, well, I don't know if they really meant it and would show it on the show. But, I was trying to keep Spoiler stuff from not invading the thread. Especially since Arcturus probably is unaware.

      Still, it is true that a being a reader of comic books and the Storybook doesn't make him a capable writer, but he is only recording, so it's probably not that hard.

      They may have said Henry would do Author stuff, but what would he do? All he can do is record. SO, forever in the background?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      Especially since Arcturus probably is unaware.

      Arctucrus*

      And nope, not unaware. :P

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Arctucrus wrote:
      Eskaver wrote:
      Especially since Arcturus probably is unaware.
      Arctucrus*

      And nope, not unaware. :P

      Okay, lol, I even tried looking at it and typing! Sorry!

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      Arctucrus wrote:
      Eskaver wrote:
      Especially since Arcturus probably is unaware.
      Arctucrus*

      And nope, not unaware. :P

      Okay, lol, I even tried looking at it and typing! Sorry!

      All good ^.^

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • As for Henry liking, or not liking, writing.  He's 12, maybe 13 years old.  He's in school, for pete's sake (about the equivalent of 8th grade).  He's going to be doing a lot of writing just for that. That he enjoys reading can only help his writing ability. Many authors spend time reading other author's works. (I know, because I am married to an author).

      I'll agree that enjoyment of reading does not necessarily translate into enjoyment of writing.  But enjoyment of writing does translate to enjoyment of reading, at least if you are going to be any good at it.

      And Henry is probably going to be sorely tempted to use and abuse the Author's powers.  After all, his MOM just became the Dark One.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote:
      As for Henry liking, or not liking, writing.  He's 12, maybe 13 years old.  He's in school, for pete's sake (about the equivalent of 8th grade).  He's going to be doing a lot of writing just for that. That he enjoys reading can only help his writing ability. Many authors spend time reading other author's works. (I know, because I am married to an author).

      I'll agree that enjoyment of reading does not necessarily translate into enjoyment of writing.  But enjoyment of writing does translate to enjoyment of reading, at least if you are going to be any good at it.

      And Henry is probably going to be sorely tempted to use and abuse the Author's powers.  After all, his MOM just became the Dark One.

      Fair point, hadn't thought about that. That will be interesting, if they explore it. Finally, Henry doing something interesting/not exactly stupid and complex.

      I'm a writer, too - Don't get me wrong, I read a lot as well, but like... IDK, many, MANY readers are just that - readers, and not writers.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • But Henry had destroyed the Author's quill.  How is he going to continue the duties of "the Author"?  Have someone create a new quill?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • CTrent29 wrote:
      But Henry had destroyed the Author's quill.  How is he going to continue the duties of "the Author"?  Have someone create a new quill?

      Do we have a spoiler tag here? I feel like we do but I'm not sure what the code is for it. I want to answer this but I don't want to intentionally spoil anything.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Spoiler tag?  Are you speaking of Henry's destruction of the quill?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • CTrent29 wrote:
      Spoiler tag?  Are you speaking of Henry's destruction of the quill?

      "Spoiler tag" or whatever as in BBCode for a button reading "Spoiler" that hides a message until you click on said button.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I don't know of any spoiler tag, so you cannot spoil anything unless the OP wants this to be moved to the spoilers board.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • There is a way to hide text behind a button/link, because i have seen it used before.

      However, even going to that effort would immediatly cause either the deletion of the message of the transfer of the thread to the Spoilers thread. the General Messages thread is meant to be spoiler free (at least as much as possible). 

      Destruction of the quill is not spoiler, at this point, since the episode has aired. and we know that will be one of the issues that Henry faces in his new role. Because, he may have broken the quill, but he is still the Author.  The Apprentice pretty much said as much when he commented to Henry's breaking of the quill. "I beleive we have found the right person for the job".

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote:
      There is a way to hide text behind a button/link, because i have seen it used before.

      However, even going to that effort would immediatly cause either the deletion of the message of the transfer of the thread to the Spoilers thread. the General Messages thread is meant to be spoiler free (at least as much as possible). 

      Destruction of the quill is not spoiler, at this point, since the episode has aired. and we know that will be one of the issues that Henry faces in his new role. Because, he may have broken the quill, but he is still the Author.  The Apprentice pretty much said as much when he commented to Henry's breaking of the quill. "I beleive we have found the right person for the job".

      Honestly

      This isn't going to make much sense, but I kind of forgot which thread I was on xD

      See, no, I was not referring to the destruction of the quill as spoiler, but to the fact that Henry will remain the Author

      And after I read those last two comments, I realized that I'm OP and which thread of mine I'm on and well

      That whole spoiler tag thing was dumb, I could've just said it outright, Henry will remain the new author xD

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • No problem.  I'd rather see a little caution exercised.  :)  Saves me a whole lot of work.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Arctucrus wrote:

      CTrent29 wrote:
      Spoiler tag?  Are you speaking of Henry's destruction of the quill?

      "Spoiler tag" or whatever as in BBCode for a button reading "Spoiler" that hides a message until you click on said button.

      Why would I have to use a spoiler tag? Anyone who has seen the season finale knows what happened. And that was two months ago.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • CTrent wrote:

      Arctucrus wrote:

      CTrent29 wrote:
      Spoiler tag?  Are you speaking of Henry's destruction of the quill?
      "Spoiler tag" or whatever as in BBCode for a button reading "Spoiler" that hides a message until you click on said button.

      Why would I have to use a spoiler tag? Anyone who has seen the season finale knows what happened. And that was two months ago.

      There are spoilers about what might happen in the next arc that some may one to mention in this thread (which won't happen seeing this isn't a spoiler thread.) That's why they asked about using a Spoiler tag to hide what's underneath, which sort of undermines the fact that it wouldn't belong.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • CTrent wrote:

      Arctucrus wrote:

      CTrent29 wrote:
      Spoiler tag?  Are you speaking of Henry's destruction of the quill?
      "Spoiler tag" or whatever as in BBCode for a button reading "Spoiler" that hides a message until you click on said button.

      Why would I have to use a spoiler tag? Anyone who has seen the season finale knows what happened. And that was two months ago.

      V

      Arctucrus wrote:
      Hmcooper4 wrote:
      There is a way to hide text behind a button/link, because i have seen it used before.

      However, even going to that effort would immediatly cause either the deletion of the message of the transfer of the thread to the Spoilers thread. the General Messages thread is meant to be spoiler free (at least as much as possible). 

      Destruction of the quill is not spoiler, at this point, since the episode has aired. and we know that will be one of the issues that Henry faces in his new role. Because, he may have broken the quill, but he is still the Author.  The Apprentice pretty much said as much when he commented to Henry's breaking of the quill. "I beleive we have found the right person for the job".

      Honestly

      This isn't going to make much sense, but I kind of forgot which thread I was on xD

      See, no, I was not referring to the destruction of the quill as spoiler, but to the fact that Henry will remain the Author

      And after I read those last two comments, I realized that I'm OP and which thread of mine I'm on and well

      That whole spoiler tag thing was dumb, I could've just said it outright, Henry will remain the new author xD

       
        Preparing Editor Spell
    • A Spy in the Mirror
        Preparing Editor Spell
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.