FANDOM


  • In There's No Place Like Home, Rumple shows Emma the Black Fairy's wand and says that it can recreate any magic/portal that has ever been used.  Why didn't Rumple use that wand tocreate a Magic Portal to bring him to Bae?  Can it only take him to the only place he's ever gone through a portal to? (Neverland)  If so, that actually could've helped him, if he knew Bae was in Neverland.


    I don't know if I misunderstood the situation.  This is just something I thought of a few minutes ago.

      Preparing Editor Spell
    • I'm assuming he could go anywhere and if he knew bae was in neverland he would have gone to, but the wand replicates the magic it's user experienced. He couldn't go to our world because there was no magic. The only portal I know he used was Jefferson's hat and it couldn't got to lands that had no magic. So the wand portal couldn't either

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • In theory, the Black Fairy's wand charged with fairydust can create portals and Rumple should have known where Bae was. If Peter didn't let him go, Rumple would have trveled to the LWM for nothing.

      Charged with Fairydust or even Pixiedust, Rumple could use it in the LWM. Magical items work in LWM.

      So, yes, he could have went to Neverland and even LWM and got Bae and went back. He had a crystal ball that can see across worlds. Neal used it to see Emma in Neverland.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • One question, and I'll make sure to watch for this when I get to Season 3 in my preseason binge watch.

      Is the wand that Rumple uses actually the Black Fairy's wand? I had the impression, from Going Home, that Blue was in possession of the wand, and has been in possession of it since she stripped the Black Fairy.

      And I'm not sure if it would even have been the Fairy Godmother's wand (from the Price of Gold), as I got the impression that the Cinderella at the Ball story was concurrent with Snow and Charming reclaiming the Kingdom, possibly even occurring after the Charming wedding in the Pilot. Snow Falls/Drifts takes place prior to those events, and that is the point in the story we are at when Rumple produces the wand.

      Rumple had a collection of wands for who knows where, and the wand he let Emma use was a special wand, no doubt. I just don't think it was the Black Fairy's wand.

      That's my impression, anyway.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • It was. It was black with the silver spirals and Rumple said the Balck Fairy's wand. That is the same one Blue had.

      Who knows!

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote: It was. It was black with the silver spirals and Rumple said the Black Fairy's wand. That is the same one Blue had.

      Actually, Rumple never, not once, refers to it as the Black Fairy's wand.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • AustinSegal wrote:
      In There's No Place Like Home, Rumple shows Emma the Black Fairy's wand and says that it can recreate any magic/portal that has ever been used. Why didn't Rumple use that wand to create a Magic Portal to bring him to Bae?  

      As Rumple explains to Emma: "Only those who used the portal can reopen it." Since Rumple never went though the portal with Baelfire, he cannot duplicate it.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Correct, he never said Black Fairy Wand, but it clearly was.

      "There is a powerful wand I came to posses. Legend says it can recreate any magic that has ever been wielded."

      For the time portal, only Emma could (and Zelena) use the want to wield it's power.

      But it was said to be able to recreate any magic that has ever been wielded. That means with it Rumple should be able to make a portal to and from LWM or Neverland to get his son.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • But he did tell Emma that only those who used the portal could reopen it. Yes, he was referring to the time portal, but this piece of dialogue suggests that the magic can only be recreated by the one who wielded it in the first place. And Rumple was not the one who opened up the portal that Bae went through.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • But shouldn't he be able to make a portal with it.......then again, he gave the bean to Malcolm so he never used a magic bean. Touche.

      I concede, but it wasn't clear that all magic works that way. I thought only the time portal is that technicality. He used the Black Fairy's wand to transfer spirits and stuff, so I assumed that it can do any spell that was ever done, just not the time travel one since that was recent and needed on those that used the portal.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Are you saying that Rumple can't recreate the portal because it was Malcolm who opened it?  That doesn't make sense because Emma was able to open the time portal when Zelena was the one who opened it originally.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • AustinSegal wrote:
      Are you saying that Rumple can't recreate the portal because it was Malcolm who opened it?  That doesn't make sense because Emma was able to open the time portal when Zelena was the one who opened it originally.

      I assume so, because Rumple said only those that used it. So, technically, Rumple should be able to make a portal because he "Used" a bean portal before, but it probably would go to Neverland....which humorously was where his son actually was.....which for some reason he didn't know?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • If he did know we'd have had a very boring show

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • HP7hghrOUaTekscrrF10rrmc wrote:
      If he did know we'd have had a very boring show

      True, but it sort of makes him look stupid. It's Plot-induced-Stupidity. Rumple could have looked through a crystal ball, portal over there, and get Baelfire. Done, and done. They have presented really no reason for him not to have known. Are we to assume that he blindly went on with his plan without checking to see if his son was alive?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I think he knew his son was alive. And I don't think it makes him look Stupid.  Everyone seems to forget that one key ingrediant is that, whereever Rumple lands, he wants his power with him.  As he told Belle in "Skin Deep", "My power means more to me than you do!", and this attitude is also exemplified when Bae opens the portal and Rumple refuses to let go.  In the end, his power meant more to him than even his son. And, other than rescuing Henry, his actions have ALWAYS been driven by that attitude.

      Replicating a Bean portal would allow rumple to travel, but he would lose his powers in the LWM, which is exactly what he does not want.  The Dark Curse is, so far, the only means known that gets Rumple to the LWM and still have access to his magic. He was actually hoping that by restoring Magic with the True Love potion, it would bring Magic to the entire land.  That it only brought it to Storybrooke did not figure into his plans. 

      Slightly off topic comment: If the wand that Rumple has in TNPLH is the black fairy's wand, then the writer's created a big question mark. Because in Going Home, I thought it was clear that Blue had the wand (which she did), and has had it since stripping the Black Fairy of her powers. So if Blue has had it since taking it away from the Black Fairy, how did Rumple get it?  The only obvious answer is that the Black Fairy got it from Rumple AFTER TNPLH, but that is going to bring into question the whole timing of when the Black Fairy existed, which I will admit has been left purposely ambiguous up to now.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote:

      Replicating a Bean portal would allow rumple to travel, but he would lose his powers in the LWM, which is exactly what he does not want.  The Dark Curse is, so far, the only means known that gets Rumple to the LWM and still have access to his magic. He was actually hoping that by restoring Magic with the True Love potion, it would bring Magic to the entire land.  That it only brought it to Storybrooke did not figure into his plans.

      Very good point. :)

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Like someone already said magical artifacts work in LWM and Rumpled has a whole room full of powerful artifacts that he can use. He even has a looking glass that can transport him between worlds. He used that looking glass to send Robin to Oz. It comes down to the same reason Regina didn't kill Snow when she could have just thrown a fire ball at her through her mirror or ripped her heart out and crushed it. Once upon a time is a great show but it comes down to whatever works for the plot.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • KnocknickKnock wrote:
      Like someone already said magical artifacts work in LWM and Rumpled has a whole room full of powerful artifacts that he can use. He even has a looking glass that can transport him between worlds. He used that looking glass to send Robin to Oz. It comes down to the same reason Regina didn't kill Snow when she could have just thrown a fire ball at her through her mirror or ripped her heart out and crushed it. Once upon a time is a great show but it comes down to whatever works for the plot.

      Incorrect, it was likely Jefferson's hat portal. The Looking Glass only goes to Wonderland.

      But yeah,  the plot solves all! Or one can say that Rumple is abit fatalistic and isn't one to take risks. He might have not known if Magical items worked in the LWM.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • AustinSegal wrote: Are you saying that Rumple can't recreate the portal because it was Malcolm who opened it?  That doesn't make sense because Emma was able to open the time portal when Zelena was the one who opened it originally.

      Emma may not have opened the portal, but she created/opened the journey through the portal... We have this piece of dialogue in "Snow Drifts":

      Emma: "Cause when we were falling through, I was thinking about Henry and the story we were all reading at Granny's."
      Hook: "You think that time portals work like any other sort? They take you back to where you're thinking of?"
      Emma: "Not where. When."

      So Emma may not have opened the portal, but she was the who activated it. Clearly, Zelena could not activate it herself in her current state (we see in "Heart of Gold" that her life force traveled to the portal, but instead of going back to kill Princess Eva, she simply followed Emma and Hook through the portal). Emma was the one who decided where the portal would take them, so she was the one who created the journey. This suggests that only the person who actually activated the portal and created the journey by thinking of a place (Malcolm was the one who decided where he and Rumple would go, by the way), is the only one who can recreate the portal.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      HP7hghrOUaTekscrrF10rrmc wrote:
      If he did know we'd have had a very boring show
      True, but it sort of makes him look stupid. It's Plot-induced-Stupidity. Rumple could have looked through a crystal ball, portal over there, and get Baelfire. Done, and done. They have presented really no reason for him not to have known. Are we to assume that he blindly went on with his plan without checking to see if his son was alive?

      lol its like the snow queen she could gave thrown a town wide ice cream party and put everyone in brainfreeze comas, there is a meme like that on esks tumbler.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Thomas762 wrote:
      Eskaver wrote:
      HP7hghrOUaTekscrrF10rrmc wrote:
      If he did know we'd have had a very boring show
      True, but it sort of makes him look stupid. It's Plot-induced-Stupidity. Rumple could have looked through a crystal ball, portal over there, and get Baelfire. Done, and done. They have presented really no reason for him not to have known. Are we to assume that he blindly went on with his plan without checking to see if his son was alive?
      lol its like the snow queen she could gave thrown a town wide ice cream party and put everyone in brainfreeze comas, there is a meme like that on esks tumbler.

      Yeah, free ice cream for everyone!

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Back on Topic.  I am still not convinced that the wand Rumple/Emma used in TNPLH is the Black Fairy's wand. I won't discount that as a possibility, but there are too many unanswered questions, and the plot becomes unnecessarily messy, if it is.  Keeping Rumple's possessed Wand separate from the Black Fairy wand is actually an easier solution.  And this isn't Hogwarts, where all wands are unique to thier owner.  Some wands can actually be identical to each other.

      Now, this does bring up a different question. Why did Rumple need to obtain the Fairy Godmother's wand (the Price of Gold)?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Maybe it was his gift of the future that told him to steal the wand. But why he would want the baby is still unknown to me.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • It looked like the Black Fairy's wand so I think they intended it for that reason. They covered it up with Rumple refusing to disclose how he came across it. So, Rumple must have claimed the wand through an unknown mean, likely after the FGM's wand.

      Wands are unique with Fairies. It was a black version of Blue's, which means the Black Fairy's. Tink has a green version, Silver mist a silver one, and the other fairies seen had either no wand shown or the glass wand of the FGM.

      Maybe Rumple just wanted every wand which might have unique properties.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote: Now, this does bring up a different question. Why did Rumple need to obtain the Fairy Godmother's wand (the Price of Gold)?

      The wand that Robin Hood steals from Rumplestiltskin in "Lacey" (104Wand.png), has the same design as fairy godmother's wand (219StealingWand.png). This indicates that after Robin took it ("Lacey" takes place before "The Price of Gold"), the wand ended up in the fairy godmother's hands, and that Rumple simply took back what belonged to him.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Nightlily wrote:

      AustinSegal wrote: Are you saying that Rumple can't recreate the portal because it was Malcolm who opened it?  That doesn't make sense because Emma was able to open the time portal when Zelena was the one who opened it originally.

      Emma may not have opened the portal, but she created/opened the journey through the portal... We have this piece of dialogue in "Snow Drifts":

      Emma: "Cause when we were falling through, I was thinking about Henry and the story we were all reading at Granny's."
      Hook: "You think that time portals work like any other sort? They take you back to where you're thinking of?"
      Emma: "Not where. When."

      So Emma may not have opened the portal, but she was the who activated it. Clearly, Zelena could not activate it herself in her current state (we see in "Heart of Gold" that her life force traveled to the portal, but instead of going back to kill Princess Eva, she simply followed Emma and Hook through the portal). Emma was the one who decided where the portal would take them, so she was the one who created the journey. This suggests that only the person who actually activated the portal and created the journey by thinking of a place (Malcolm was the one who decided where he and Rumple would go, by the way), is the only one who can recreate the portal.

      Only the people who used the portal can open the portal. Meaning, Rumple couldn't have followed Bae to LWM. A prophecy told him he'd see his son again, and he was sure the he was in the LWM, so why would he try to "check on him" when he can't? He can't see into the LWM using the crystal ball. Being immortal, he probably didn't really realize that so long had past, and that his son should be dead. That should be all of it.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      HP7hghrOUaTekscrrF10rrmc wrote:
      If he did know we'd have had a very boring show
      True, but it sort of makes him look stupid. It's Plot-induced-Stupidity. Rumple could have looked through a crystal ball, portal over there, and get Baelfire. Done, and done. They have presented really no reason for him not to have known. Are we to assume that he blindly went on with his plan without checking to see if his son was alive?

      Rumple knew his son was alive because of the Seer. The crystal ball probably doesn't work in LWM the same way Jefferson hat can't travel to land without magic. Rumple was also sure that he was in the LWM and not Neverland so he had no need to check the crystal ball if he think it would not work. It working in Neverland is another matter since there is magic there. So no its not PIS.

      Also Rumple could not use the wand(since its not confirmed it is the BF wand) because  in order to use it, one must have created, selected the specific or use it. In Emma's case, she selected the journey and use the time portal. Rumple did neither of those things so he could not make a portal to the LWM because it was his son that use, choosed the journey and use the portal. He could problably had gone to Neverland though since he used the portal to go there but then again he had no idea his son was there.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Nightlily wrote:

      As Rumple explains to Emma: "Only those who used the portal can reopen it." Since Rumple never went though the portal with Baelfire, he cannot duplicate it.

      thought it's plothole nowy ou siad it.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • A Spy in the Mirror
        Preparing Editor Spell
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.