FANDOM


  • What’s going on with Once Upon a Time‘s Will Scarlett? Is Michael Socha still a series regular? –Emma I am reminded of the Facts of Life theme song’s opening lyrics as I report that, just as Sean Maguire and Rebecca Mader have been made series regulars for Season 5, Michael Socha alas will not continue to be one — which is not to say we’ve seen the last of Will, however. (This is where y’all get to dream-casting what other show Socha could now join. New Grey’s doc?)

    Here is the source

    thoughts?

      Preparing Editor Spell
    • Figures. I mean, he wasn't very useful as a starring cast member. There was so much they could've done with him, and they pretty much ignored him. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who asked to leave. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • How reliable is that source?  Admittedly, I read Matt's "scoops" all the time, but I always take them with at least 1 grain of salt.

      I would not be surprised if he was not a regular any longer.  In Season 2, they raised Meghan Ory from supporting to regular, then by the end of the season, she had departed for other shows, and has only had a couple of appearances since.  (I really miss Ruby).

      However, unlike when Meghan left, the departure of Michael would leave a very big hole in the storyline.  One that, from a fan perspective, needs some closure.  What happened after the Wonderland finale (but prior to the part of the Finale where Alice shows Will and Ana as the White King and Queen)?  

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote:
      How reliable is that source?  Admittedly, I read Matt's "scoops" all the time, but I always take them with at least 1 grain of salt.

      I would not be surprised if he was not a regular any longer.  In Season 2, they raised Meghan Ory from supporting to regular, then by the end of the season, she had departed for other shows, and has only had a couple of appearances since.  (I really miss Ruby).

      However, unlike when Meghan left, the departure of Michael would leave a very big hole in the storyline.  One that, from a fan perspective, needs some closure.  What happened after the Wonderland finale (but prior to the part of the Finale where Alice shows Will and Ana as the White King and Queen)?  


      TVLine is a reliable source. They're just saying Socha will not be a series regular anymore, not that he leaves the show. He will still continue to appear but as a guest star.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Well... he is staying but not as "starring". Maybe they will do 1 episode about him and kill him off? 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Lady Junky wrote:
      Hmcooper4 wrote:
      How reliable is that source?  Admittedly, I read Matt's "scoops" all the time, but I always take them with at least 1 grain of salt.

      I would not be surprised if he was not a regular any longer.  In Season 2, they raised Meghan Ory from supporting to regular, then by the end of the season, she had departed for other shows, and has only had a couple of appearances since.  (I really miss Ruby).

      However, unlike when Meghan left, the departure of Michael would leave a very big hole in the storyline.  One that, from a fan perspective, needs some closure.  What happened after the Wonderland finale (but prior to the part of the Finale where Alice shows Will and Ana as the White King and Queen)?  


      TVLine is a reliable source. They're just saying Socha will not be a series regular anymore, not that he leaves the show. He will still continue to appear but as a guest star.

      Good to know about TVLine.  I'll put the salt up on that source. :-D

      My only thought is we all know what happens to the roles that are not either Series Regulars or Guest Stars.  They tend to disappear into the gray area of limbo, and who knows if they'll ever see the light of day again.

      I understand that the actors associated with these roles have a job, and if they aren't getting paid in job A, then they look for job B (or C or D). They go where the money is, which is no different than any other professional.  And Michael will be no different.

      I doubt they will kill him off.  But I would rather they get him to wonderland and let him stay there in the background. And preferably after they resolve the Ana storyline that they opened up when they made him a regular in the first place.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Just great. Now I bet he won't get backstory episode and we won't even see Ana again.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I couldn't care less. They should have never brought him to the main show, his story was done. I don't want to see him in season 5 at all and they can perfectly fit wonderland after the fourth season.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Farerb wrote:
      I couldn't care less. They should have never brought him to the main show, his story was done. I don't want to see him in season 5 at all and they can perfectly fit wonderland after the fourth season.

      Wonderland is in season two, so you can't change that.

      All I want them to do is have Will say good-bye in the premiere or second episode and jump through a mirror. They should have never brought him, but since they did they should tie up loose ends.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      Farerb wrote:
      I couldn't care less. They should have never brought him to the main show, his story was done. I don't want to see him in season 5 at all and they can perfectly fit wonderland after the fourth season.
      Wonderland is in season two, so you can't change that.

      All I want them to do is have Will say good-bye in the premiere or second episode and jump through a mirror. They should have never brought him, but since they did they should tie up loose ends.

      I know that they said that Wonderland happens during season 2. However, there is nothing that strongly indicates that so again it could really fit after season 4  so it would make more sense - it depends on whether we see will's conclusion during season 5.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Farerb wrote:
      Eskaver wrote:
      Farerb wrote:
      I couldn't care less. They should have never brought him to the main show, his story was done. I don't want to see him in season 5 at all and they can perfectly fit wonderland after the fourth season.
      Wonderland is in season two, so you can't change that.

      All I want them to do is have Will say good-bye in the premiere or second episode and jump through a mirror. They should have never brought him, but since they did they should tie up loose ends.

      I know that they said that Wonderland happens during season 2. However, there is nothing that strongly indicates that so again it could really fit after season 4  so it would make more sense - it depends on whether we see will's conclusion during season 5.

      The whole Wraith thing to me indicates it. They could just excuse it as he was sent on a mission to get something or do something (maybe by some new Wonderland villain) and now he can't get back.

      Then give him it and send him on his Merry Merry way.

      I really think they had no clue what to do and they should have spent that money on bettwer CGI at least. Belle could have moped around alone for all I care.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I don't understand how or why he was a starring member in the first place. He doesn't have a story on Once like he did on Wonderland. He appears in random scenes like a reminder that he's actually still there and he's Belle's rebound guy just so he has some sort of purpose on the show.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • SkyCloud24 wrote: I don't understand how or why he was a starring member in the first place. He doesn't have a story on Once like he did on Wonderland. He appears in random scenes like a reminder that he's actually still there and he's Belle's rebound guy just so he has some sort of purpose on the show.

      I believe that writers braugh him in Once, because they probably was planning for him big role. But instead they realised they don't know what to do with him and his role was so demoted.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Starring isn't about the character, it means the actor is under a contract.

      Likely, it was a reward for Michael Socha, and a deserved one.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Utter solitude wrote:
      Starring isn't about the character, it means the actor is under a contract.

      Likely, it was a reward for Michael Socha, and a deserved one.

      Or the contract was something his agent wanted?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • While you're absolutely right about the connection with contract, I really wish they would stop and consider the character before offering the contract.  If the character is going to serve little purpose in the storyline, they probably should not be on contract.  and if the actor is on contract, they need to do a better job of finding way that the character can meaningfully interact with the other characers and move the storyline.  Michael never really did that in any of his appearances on the main show (and I liked his character from Wonderland).  Not his fault, I blame the writers for that one.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • ChocolatEyes613 wrote:

      Utter solitude wrote:
      Starring isn't about the character, it means the actor is under a contract.

      Likely, it was a reward for Michael Socha, and a deserved one.

      Or the contract was something his agent wanted?

      Any agent worth their salary would push for him to be starring.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote:
      While you're absolutely right about the connection with contract, I really wish they would stop and consider the character before offering the contract.  If the character is going to serve little purpose in the storyline, they probably should not be on contract.  and if the actor is on contract, they need to do a better job of finding way that the character can meaningfully interact with the other characers and move the storyline.  Michael never really did that in any of his appearances on the main show (and I liked his character from Wonderland).  Not his fault, I blame the writers for that one.

      I do not blame the writers.... I blame the network for wasting money, on these useless contracts. These random "starring" cast members, seem to be a running gag on OUaT. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • The issue that comes up is that plans change. They change constantly and in big ways. You may intend to use a character heavily, but as the overall story develops, it might change.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Utter solitude wrote:
      The issue that comes up is that plans change. They change constantly and in big ways. You may intend to use a character heavily, but as the overall story develops, it might change.

      While that probably was the case in the past, I seriously doubt that is what happened with Will Scarlet.

      There was always this vibe that Michael Socha was just randomly put on OUaT, because ABC did not want to loose him to another network. The fact that OUaTiW was a ratings failure should have been enough of a sign, that Will would never be intergraded well into the cast. It did not help that Eddy and Adam tried to hype the character. Plus, I am also going to put some blame on the fandom, for have unattainable expectations.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • ChocolatEyes613 wrote:
      Utter solitude wrote:
      The issue that comes up is that plans change. They change constantly and in big ways. You may intend to use a character heavily, but as the overall story develops, it might change.
      While that probably was the case in the past, I seriously doubt that is what happened with Will Scarlet.

      There was always this vibe that Michael Socha was just randomly put on OUaT, because ABC did not want to loose him to another network. The fact that OUaTiW was a ratings failure should have been enough of a sign, that Will would never be intergraded well into the cast. It did not help that Eddy and Adam tried to hype the character. Plus, I am also going to put some blame on the fandom, for have unattainable expectations.

      Actually, I think that Michael was announced as being in the Main Cast for Season 4 prior to the writers/producers knowing about the Frozen arc.  I am not sure on this one, because I don't know all the things that go on behind the scenes, but the timing seems to indicate that they had plans for Michael, and then when they got the chance for Frozen, things changed, and the plans for Michael were forgotten (or should I say put on ice).

      So again, I go back to blaming the writers, and producers.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Because they downgraded Michael Socha, will he show up at the Comic Con since he's still a series regular in season 4 ?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Darkness Snow wrote:
      Because they downgraded Michael Socha, will he show up at the Comic Con since he's still a series regular in season 4 ?

      I seriously doubt Michael Socha would be at Comic Con. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I seriously doubt Michael Socha would be at Comic Con. 

      Yeah ! It would be weird for him to show up

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • ChocolatEyes613 wrote:
      Utter solitude wrote:
      The issue that comes up is that plans change. They change constantly and in big ways. You may intend to use a character heavily, but as the overall story develops, it might change.
      While that probably was the case in the past, I seriously doubt that is what happened with Will Scarlet.

      There was always this vibe that Michael Socha was just randomly put on OUaT, because ABC did not want to loose him to another network. The fact that OUaTiW was a ratings failure should have been enough of a sign, that Will would never be intergraded well into the cast. It did not help that Eddy and Adam tried to hype the character. Plus, I am also going to put some blame on the fandom, for have unattainable expectations.

      OuatiW wasn't a ratings failure other than poor placement which a network exec took the blame for. So, Will  or the rest of the show material can't be blamed for that.

      Also, you can't blame the fans because when you bring in characters and increase the hype, it's the promoters and showrunners fault at not crushing or diminishing it right away.

      Since I doubt they were just using him stupidly, I'm sure they just had trouble with the poorly planned Frozen arc. Don't get me wrong, I loved much of it, but it still was a wedge and wasn't planned prior as the other seasons seemed to be.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Didn't Adam admit that him and Eddie decided to put Elsa into the finale at the last minute? That pretty much proves that Frozen was done as they went along... While Michael was signed around the time of the Wonderland finale, if not before, which was long before Elsa would've been put in.

      So yeah, I'm going with they were going to do Will in 4A, then Frozen got in the way and we were promised Will in 4B. There's no excuse for 4B not having more Will, asbolutely not. We all expected a bigger role since he was now going to be Belle's beau, but nope.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      Didn't Adam admit that him and Eddie decided to put Elsa into the finale at the last minute? That pretty much proves that Frozen was done as they went along... While Michael was signed around the time of the Wonderland finale, if not before, which was long before Elsa would've been put in.

      So yeah, I'm going with they were going to do Will in 4A, then Frozen got in the way and we were promised Will in 4B. There's no excuse for 4B not having more Will, asbolutely not. We all expected a bigger role since he was now going to be Belle's beau, but nope.

      Well since Rumbelle won't ever die (as with any ship currently, sadly) and Belle almost always sleep this season, it is no wonder. Belle should be called Sleeping Beauty. She had more scenes sleep than Briar Rose and Aurora combined. So, there was no hope for Will, because there's no hope for Belle.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I hope he appears in 6-7 episodes, and we get his backstory, because they PROMISED it, and they said "not immediatly", so there must be some plan for Will.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:

      Belle should be called Sleeping Beauty. She had more scenes sleep than Briar Rose and Aurora combined. 

      Hahahahahaha.... I am so glad some else notice that!

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Chameleon-Guy wrote:
      I hope he appears in 6-7 episodes, and we get his backstory, because they PROMISED it, and they said "not immediatly", so there must be some plan for Will.

      Weren't we also supposed to get Aladdin in season two? And see more effects of Emma and Hook's time travelling in season four? And see the effects of sharing one heart on Snowing? They've promised plenty of things they never delivered, so I don't hold out hope for Will.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      Chameleon-Guy wrote:
      I hope he appears in 6-7 episodes, and we get his backstory, because they PROMISED it, and they said "not immediatly", so there must be some plan for Will.
      Weren't we also supposed to get Aladdin in season two? And see more effects of Emma and Hook's time travelling in season four? And see the effects of sharing one heart on Snowing? They've promised plenty of things they never delivered, so I don't hold out hope for Will.

      Don't forget we'll see more of the missing year too. They are all planned for season 10. #KeepWatching

      But Will won't be in 6-7 episodes unless you mean by season, because not the first half.

      I will be following this logic: Will stayed in Wonderland and Belle dated random extra or a childhood friend.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Eskaver wrote:
      Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      Chameleon-Guy wrote:
      I hope he appears in 6-7 episodes, and we get his backstory, because they PROMISED it, and they said "not immediatly", so there must be some plan for Will.
      Weren't we also supposed to get Aladdin in season two? And see more effects of Emma and Hook's time travelling in season four? And see the effects of sharing one heart on Snowing? They've promised plenty of things they never delivered, so I don't hold out hope for Will.
      Don't forget we'll see more of the missing year too. They are all planned for season 10. #KeepWatching

      But Will won't be in 6-7 episodes unless you mean by season, because not the first half.

      I will be following this logic: Will stayed in Wonderland and Belle dated random extra or a childhood friend.

      Ooh! And the Storybrookites struggling to assimilate their Misthaven identities with their Storybrooke memories! Nope, never mind, that all got thrown out the window an episode after it was introduced. LOLZ

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      Eskaver wrote:
      Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      Chameleon-Guy wrote:
      I hope he appears in 6-7 episodes, and we get his backstory, because they PROMISED it, and they said "not immediatly", so there must be some plan for Will.
      Weren't we also supposed to get Aladdin in season two? And see more effects of Emma and Hook's time travelling in season four? And see the effects of sharing one heart on Snowing? They've promised plenty of things they never delivered, so I don't hold out hope for Will.
      Don't forget we'll see more of the missing year too. They are all planned for season 10. #KeepWatching

      But Will won't be in 6-7 episodes unless you mean by season, because not the first half.

      I will be following this logic: Will stayed in Wonderland and Belle dated random extra or a childhood friend.

      Ooh! And the Storybrookites struggling to assimilate their Misthaven identities with their Storybrooke memories! Nope, never mind, that all got thrown out the window an episode after it was introduced. LOLZ

      Yep, but I believe that either they will end Will abruptly and he leaves or they will Mulan him and just remove him from the plot as if he doesn't exist and promise that we'll get more of him and that backstory.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • When did they PROMISE a Will back story?

      Or is the idea that plans change that difficult?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I understand that there wasn't enough time to have explain Will's presence in SB for this season. Regardless, I still like the character because I'm still attached to him from the OUaTiW arc and am still holding out hope to see a reunion with him and Anastasia no matter how long it takes. Maybe his character wasn't utilized in the exact fashion that the writers had intended for him at first, but yeah, plans change, and I still appreciate that Will was included for the season, although there's a continued mystery about his separation from Anastasia.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Why is everyone so baffled about this? 

      He was supposed to have a big story at some point in Season 4 then things changed and his story got pushed back. They had him here and there in Season 4 because they had already promoted him but now that they're going to a different direction, they dropped him. 

      Simple.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I don't think everyone is baffled.  At least I'm not.

      I'm just more disappointed. However, they can still work in a Will/Ana story and reunion if they can get both the stars back for one episode. And it honestly would not be that hard (from a story perspective), should the writers choose a realm-jumping type of storyline to handle the searches for Emma and Merlin.

      One of the places the gang is led to on the search is Wonderland, And since Will is the most available person that is familiar with Wonderland (unless Jefferson ever reappears, highly doubtful), the gang seeks his help. The A plot of the episode is obviously whatever moves the search/quest plot forward, but the Will/Ana plot would make a good B plot.  And at the end of the episode, Will can stay in Wonderland with Ana.  This resolves a lot of issues, and honestly makes an even stronger connection between the two shows..

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:
      Chameleon-Guy wrote:
      I hope he appears in 6-7 episodes, and we get his backstory, because they PROMISED it, and they said "not immediatly", so there must be some plan for Will.
      Weren't we also supposed to get Aladdin in season two? And see more effects of Emma and Hook's time travelling in season four? And see the effects of sharing one heart on Snowing? They've promised plenty of things they never delivered, so I don't hold out hope for Will.

      That in fact happened. Zelena went there too and killed Marian.

      But I agree with your point. Snowing's one heart keeps being mentioned once or twice but nothing more. Just as Snow's dark spot.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • It seems as though Will Scarlet isn't gonna be in Season Five.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • MyPretties wrote:
      It seems as though Will Scarlet isn't gonna be in Season Five.

      Not all that surprising, as he was pretty unnecessary in S4.

      Putting Michael Socha on contract with OUaT, seemed to be a decision the network made.... not Eddy and Adam. ABC probably did not want to loose him to another network, because he is a young up and comer.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I think he'll still be in it, but I can totally see why he's not "starring" anymore. Still, I think they'll have him back, it's just all about contracts and how much they pay him. Robin wasn't starring in season 4, he was still in over half the episodes. 

      Plus "This is England '90" is about to air, so it could be possible that they needed to reduce Michael's role due to him filming that.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Leanne Aguilera is looking for questions for a q&a, we should ask if Will is gonna be in season 5. I'm about to post but if there's more messages, there's more chances she'll pick the question.

      I'm quite sad for Will anyway, he didn't even get to be dumped by Belle on-screen.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Chameleon-Guy wrote:
      Leanne Aguilera is looking for questions for a q&a, we should ask if Will is gonna be in season 5. I'm about to post but if there's more messages, there's more chances she'll pick the question.

      I'm quite sad for Will anyway, he didn't even get to be dumped by Belle on-screen.

      How do I contact her to ask her to ask about Scarlet Queen?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I still think Will (Micheal Socha) will be in season 5, at least long enough to explain what happened and send him back to Wonderland (maybe with Jefferson and Grace, since Seb Stan should have a bit of time off from the Marvel movies soon, his character shouldn't be appearing in at least the next four to film, by my calculations). It would be nice to start working towards giving side characters their happy endings (like the Darling children, and the Frozen crew), so that everything is wrapped up nicely by the series finale.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Edward Zachary Sunrose wrote:

      Chameleon-Guy wrote:
      Leanne Aguilera is looking for questions for a q&a, we should ask if Will is gonna be in season 5. I'm about to post but if there's more messages, there's more chances she'll pick the question.

      I'm quite sad for Will anyway, he didn't even get to be dumped by Belle on-screen.

      How do I contact her to ask her to ask about Scarlet Queen?

      Twitter.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • A Spy in the Mirror
        Preparing Editor Spell
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.