"Heartless" is the seventh episode of Season Six of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by Jane Espenson, and directed by Ralph Hemecker. It is the one hundred and eighteenth episode of the series overall, and premiered on November 6, 2016.
In a flashback to the Enchanted Forest, Bandit Snow dodges a bounty hunter known as the Woodcutter while shepherd David goes on a fateful journey to sell his family's farm. In Storybrooke, the Evil Queen threatens to destroy the town and everyone in it unless Snow and David surrender their hearts. As Emma, Hook and Henry prepare to defend Storybrooke, Snow, David and Regina search for a magical sapling created by the first spark of true love. Regina uses Gold's and the Evil Queen's burgeoning romance against them, and Zelena offers Belle some friendly advice.
"True Love's Light" (Scene 28)
This scene is included on Once Upon a Time: The Complete Sixth Season.
As David, Mary Margaret and Regina walk through the tunnel to find the true love sapling, they come across a fork in the passage. Since they don't have enough time to explore both ways, they must choose wisely. After they kiss, which makes Regina roll her eyes, a green spark glows out from the right way.
*: Only in archive footage
- The title card features Wilby.
- The title of this episode was revealed by Adam Horowitz via his Twitter account on September 6, 2016.
- The Enchanted Forest flashbacks take place after "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter", "Red-Handed", "Child of the Moon" and "White Out", and before "The Evil Queen" and "The Shepherd". (For more details, see the Enchanted Forest timeline)
- The Storybrooke events take place after "Dark Waters" and before "I'll Be Your Mirror". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- The Evil Queen's plan to gain Mary Margaret's heart began in "Dark Waters".
- Mary Margaret and David began sharing halves of the same heart during "A Curious Thing".
- The Evil Queen's alliance with Mr. Gold formed in "Dark Waters".
- The flute music playing at the tent camp in the Enchanted Forest is the same tune that was playing in the tavern Anton visits in "Tiny", the tavern where Hook and his crew celebrate in "The Jolly Roger", the tavern where Emma meets past Hook in "Snow Drifts", the tavern where young Cora is working in "Bleeding Through", Robin Hood's tavern in "Heart of Gold", the Wish Realm tavern where Wish Hook meets Captain Ahab in "Knightfall" and the Fish & Bird tavern in the New Enchanted Forest in "Breadcrumbs".
- Snow White tells the Blue Fairy that "home is where your family is". Her counterpart, Mary Margaret, says the same thing to David in "Tiny".
- The effects of Acheron water were first seen in "Devil's Due".
- Emma's visions began in "The Savior".
- Mary Margaret first voiced her desire for things to "go back to normal" during "The Other Shoe".
- Snow White's mother died in "The Queen Is Dead".
- Snow White's plan of having enough money to leave the kingdom and escape the Evil Queen was explored in "Snow Falls".
- Zelena turns green as a result of her jealousy towards the Evil Queen's relationship with Mr. Gold. This also happened in "It's Not Easy Being Green".
- Mary Margaret notes that the sapling's location is near to where she saved David during the Curse, an event seen in "Snow Falls".
- Adder's fork, a potion ingredient that Hook finds in Regina's vault, previously appeared in "The Apprentice", where Henry was looking through Regina's potion ingredients.
- Hook says that Emma's parents are in love today because she brought them together, referring to events in "Snow Drifts" and "There's No Place Like Home".
- When Mary Margaret and David touch the sapling of true love, they both experience flashbacks from "Pilot", "Snow Falls", "A Land Without Magic", "Lady of the Lake", "The New Neverland", "Snow Drifts" and "There's No Place Like Home".
- The ultrasound scan that Mr. Gold is looking at was left by Belle at the pawnshop in "Dark Waters".
- David wakes up Mary Margaret with true love's kiss as he did in "Pilot" and "A Land Without Magic".
- David and Mary Margaret are awakened from the Sleeping Curse in "Awake".
- There are close-ups of Hook's eyes as he studies the potion bottle. This is a common theme on Lost.
- The Evil Queen asks Snow if she remembers her 15th birthday. The number "15" is a recurring Lost number.
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode features Snow White, Prince Charming and the Evil Queen from the Snow White fairytale, the Blue Fairy from the The Adventures of Pinocchio story, Captain Hook from the Peter Pan story, the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz story, and the Woodcutter from the Little Red Riding Hood fairytale.
- When the Evil Queen says "Rage, rage against the dying of the light", she is quoting the poem "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas.
- The name "Longbourn" is a reference to Longbourn estate from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. It is the favorite novel of Jane Espenson, who wrote the episode.
- Excerpts from the Grimm fairy tales "The Golden Bird", "King Thrushbeard", "The Queen Bee" and "The Water of Life" can be seen in Henry's storybook.
- The yellow tent with green stripes on the roof which is sitting in the camp where Snow White attempts to sell her jewelry, is the same prop used for one of the tents in the marketplace that adult Jiminy visited with his parents in the Season One episode "That Still Small Voice". It also appeared at the campsite where the soldiers were getting ready to slay the dragon in the Season One episode "The Shepherd" and in front of the Storybrooke Town Hall during Miner's Day in the Season One episode "Dreamy".
- The same prop was used for the tent where Snow White and Prince Charming slept during their journey to the Tree of Wisdom in the Season Four episode "Unforgiven".
- It also appears in the Resistance camp in the Season Seven episodes "The Garden of Forking Paths", "Pretty in Blue" and "The Eighth Witch".
- Zelena is wearing a Duchess Blazer by SMYTHE.
- Emma is wearing a Joie Katrine Top (no longer available) and a Alice + Olivia Shawl Jacket. Emma wears the same outfit in the next episode, "I'll Be Your Mirror".
- Mary Margaret is wearing a Rebecca Taylor Embellished Top (no longer available). She wears it again in "I'll Be Your Mirror".
- Belle is wearing a Kooples Mixed Print Silk Dress (no longer available).
- The Enchanted Forest tent camp scene was filmed near the North Langley Community Church in Langley, British Columbia.
- Burnaby's Central Park doubles as the Storybrooke graveyard for this episode.
- The scene with Prince Charming and Snow White at Gabriel's carriage was filmed in a forest in North Vancouver.
- Lynn Canyon Park in the District of North Vancouver doubles as the Storybrooke forest for the scene where David finds Mary Margaret in the glass coffin and wakes her with true love's kiss.
|French||"La Pousse Magique"||"The Magical Shoot"|
|German||"Sie haben einander so lieb, doch sie können zusammen nicht kommen"||"They love each other so much, but they could not come together"|
|Portuguese||"Sem Coração"||"Without Heart"|