The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
For her second spell book, see Cora's Second Spell Book.
Types of Spells
- Barrier Spells - Manipulates plants (either actual plants or representations such as drawings) to grab and restrain someone by their arms and legs in a similar fashion to tentacles. ("We Are Both")
- Plant healing spell ("We Are Both")
- Memory spell - Erases and wipes out a designated period of time in a person's memory. The person affected by the spell will have no recollection nor any sense of having forgotten the memories. ("The Evil Queen")
- Shielding spell
- Summoning spell for Mother Nature ("Secret Garden")
- The heart on the cover is a reference to Cora's identity as the Queen of Hearts. ("We Are Both" et al.)
- As Regina looks through the book to restore her magical powers, there are alchemical symbols printed on the pages—Fusion, Flowing Melting, Composition 2, Fixation, Filtration 1, part of Lutation Sealing 2, Extraction of Dryness, Filtration 2, Lutation Sealing 1, Fire of Circulation 2, Grades of Fire, Fire of Circulation 1, Dry, and Distillation 2. ("We Are Both")
- The book contains a diagram of the letters of the Tetragrammaton, taken from a 12th-century manuscript of the work Dialogi Contra Iudaeos ("Dialogues against the Jews") (ca. 1109 A.D.) by the 12th century Spanish physician, writer and polemicist Petrus Alphonsi, a convert to Christianity from Judaism. Tetragrammaton is the four Hebrew letters יהוה, commonly transliterated into Latin letters as YHWH. It is one of the names of God used in the Hebrew Bible. Alphonsi's diagram shows the three persons of the Christian Trinity assigned to the three possible consecutive two-letter sequences of the Tetragrammaton YHWH, or "IEVE" as it's transcribed into the Latin language in the diagram. These three sequences (IE, EV, and VE) are in three circular nodes, connected to each other by three lines making a triangle. In the center, supported by fanciful animals, is a scroll with the complete Tetragrammaton. ("We Are Both")
- When young Regina summons Rumplestiltskin, the Sigillum Dei, a late Middle Ages magical diagram, is pictured on the page with Rumplestiltskin's name on it. The Sigillum Dei ("seal of God") was an amulet which allowed the initiated magician to have power over all creatures except Archangels. However, it was usually only reserved for those who can achieve the blessed vision of God and angels; rather ironic for a spell book belonging to the Dark One. ("We Are Both")
- The page also shows the astrological symbols for Aries (♈), Gemini (♊) and Leo (♌).
- This page also contains stanza 5 and stanza 6 from the Latin poem, "Estuans Intrinsecus" (also known as the "Confession") by the 12th century Latin poet Archipoeta. The poem is number 191 in Carmina Burana ("Songs from Beuern"), a medieval manuscript of poems and dramatic texts. In this satirical poem, the author confesses his love for drinking, gambling and women. The stanzas printed in the book, read thus:
- The page also shows the astrological symbols for Aries (♈), Gemini (♊) and Leo (♌).
implico me vitiis, immemor virtutis,
voluptatis avidus magis quam salutis,
mortuus in anima curam gero cutis.
morte bona morior, dulci nece necor,
meum pectus sauciat puellarum decor,
et quas tactu nequeo, saltem corde moechor
- Which translates as:
- "I tread the primrose part, as young men do, enmeshing myself in vice, forgetful of virtue; keener on pleasure than salvation, dead in the soul, I take care of my skin."
- "Most discerning prelate, I ask your pardon: I die the good death, I perish in sweet destruction; my heart is wounded by feminine charm, and those I cannot touch, I lust at least in the heart."
- Several pages contain slightly altered versions of demonic seals from the Lesser Key of Solomon, a spell book on demonology published in the 17th century:
- The Seal of Botis, a demon described in the book as a Great President and Earl of Hell, commanding sixty legions of demons. ("We Are Both")
- The Seal of Buer. Buer is a demon that appears in the sixteenth century grimoire Pseudomonarchia Daemonum (Hierarchy of Demons) and its derivatives, where he is described as a Great President of Hell, having fifty legions of demons under his command. ("Going Home", "The Jolly Roger")
- The Seal of Amon. Amon is a demon and the Grand Marquis of Hell who governs forty infernal legions. ("Going Home", "The Jolly Roger")
- The seal of Marbas, the Great President of Hell governing thirty-six legions of demons. ("Sisters")
- One page shows a Transmutation Circle, which is believed to help an alchemist focus their energy to change one item into another (such as lead into gold). ("Going Home")
renovatus animo spiritu renascor,
quasi modo genitus novo lacte pascor,
ne sit meum amplius vanitatis vas cor.
fac misericordiam veniam petenti
et da poenitentiam culpam confitenti!
feram quicquid iusseris animo libenti.
et est erga subditos immemor irarum;
et vos idem facite, principes terrarum!
quod caret dulcedine nimis est amarum.
- Which translates as:
- "Already I value virtues, I am angry at vices, Renewed in soul I am born again in spirit, Like a new-born, on fresh milk I feed, So that my heart should no longer be a vessel of vanity."
- "Oh, Elect of Cologne, spare the repentant, Show mercy, to one seeking pardon; And give penance to one confessing guilt! I will do whatever you order with willing soul."
- "Lo, the lion, king of beasts spares his subjects; And is toward the subjects oblivious of anger, And do the same ye, the rulers of lands, What lacks sweetness (softness) is too bitter."
- A page with roots of incantations shows the Tree of Life from Kabbalah. This symbol represents, as a series of divine emanations, God's creation, the nature of revealed divinity, the human soul, and the spiritual path of ascent by man. ("Going Home", "The Jolly Roger")
- Even though Regina says that the characters on this page are Elvish, they are actually symbols for alchemical processes – Abstraction, Putrefication, Digestion 1, Purification 1, Pulverise 1, Purification 2, Pulverise 2, Reverberation 2, Coagulation 1 and Reverberation 1.
- The opposite page contains the astrological symbols for Aries (♈), Taurus (♉) and Gemini (♊)—the first three astrological signs in the Zodiac. A couple of alchemical symbols (Fire of Circulation 3 and Fire of Rotation) can also be glimpsed. ("Going Home", "The Jolly Roger")
in amaritudineloquor mee menti:
factus de materialevis elementi
folio sum similis de quo ludunt venti.
ut per vias aerisvaga fertur avis.
non me tenent vincula, non me tenet clavis.
quero mei similes et adiungor pravis.
- Which translates as:
- "Burning (boiling) inwardly with vehement indignation in bitterness will I say to my soul: Made of the stuff of a light element, I am similar to a leaf with which winds play."
- "I am borne like a ship without a sailor, like a wandering bird through airy ways. I am confined by neither chain nor key, I seek out my likes and keep wicked company."
- Several pages contain symbols from the reconstruction of the mysterious Emerald Tablet, which is one of the pillars of Western alchemy. It has been translated by many people over the centuries, and is said to be inscribed with the secrets of the universe. One interpretation suggests that the text describes seven stages of alchemical transformation—calcination, dissolution, separation, conjunction, fermentation, distillation and coagulation. ("We Are Both", "Going Home", "The Jolly Roger")
- As Regina is looking through the book to find a cure for "Marian's" affliction, and when Zelena opens the spell book in Tiana's palace, we see a palmistry illustration of a hand, with astrological symbols for the mounts on the palm. Mounts are the bumps of flesh on the palm, which are named after planets, and which play a very important role during a palmistry reading. Five astrological symbols can be seen on the illustration: ("Breaking Glass", "Secret Garden")
- Venus (♀), the mount by the thumb. Below that, the word "Vita", Latin for "life", is printed.
- Jupiter (♃) is erroneously printed on the mound between the thumb and the index finger, which is where Lower Mars should be.
- Mars (♂) is erroneously printed on the mound beneath the index finger, which is actually Jupiter's mound.
- Saturn (♄), the mount under the index finger.
- Apollo, the sun (☉), the mount under the ring finger.
- Note that the mount of Mercury (☿), which is placed beneath the baby finger, is obscured.
- Next to the hand, there are micro-excerpts from Ars grammatica, a survey of Latin grammar by Aelius Donatus, a fourth century Roman grammarian and teacher of rhetoric. The excerpts in the spell book are from Donatus' first Ars grammatica, known as Ars Minor, which is a brief overview of the eight parts of speech. ("Secret Garden")
- The paragraph at the top of the page consists of selected words from the section De praepositione, "about preposition". The paragraph from the spell book reads thus: "Vbi locum significat, magis [three or four illegible words] ablativo ubi onem alicuius facimus accusativo casui ervit". The following is the excerpt in its entirety, with the selected words (and pieces of words) in the spell book set in bold:
- Vbi locum significat, magis accusativo casui servit quam ablativo; ubi mentionem alicuius facimus, ablativo tantum, ut "multa super Priamo rogitans". In quam vim habet? Etiam tum accusativo casui servit, cum significat contra, ut in adulterum, in desertorem.
- The paragraph at the bottom begins with "Legendus legenda legendum participia venientia a verbo passivo temporisum futuri generis" (the rest of the text is illegible), which is from the section De participio, "about participle". Note that the original excerpt from Ars Minor says "temporis", not "temporisum".
- Additional text from De praepositione can be glimpsed on the opposite page. The following is the excerpt in its entirety, with the parts that can be seen in the book (most of the text is obscured by Zelena or illegible) set in bold:
aedes, adversum inimicos, cis Renum, citra
forum, circum uicinos, circa templum,
contra hostem, erga propinquos, extra terminos,
inter naues, intra moenia infra tectum, iuxta macellum,
ob augurium, pone tribunal, per parietem, prope fenestram,
secundum fores, post tergum, trans ripam, ultra fines,
praeter officium, propter rem, supra caelum, usque Oceanum,
penes arbitros. Da praepositiones casus ablativi A ab abs
cum coram clam de e ex pro prae palam sine absque tenus. quo
modo? Dicimus enim a domo, ab homine, abs
quolibet, cum exercitu, coram testibus, clam
custodibus, de foro, e iure, ex
praefectura, pro clientibus, prae timore,
palam omnibus, sine labore, absque iniuria,
tenus pube, quod nos dicimus pube tenus.
Da utriusque casus praepositiones. In sub super subter.
|Once Upon a Time: Season Two|
|"Broken":||"We Are Both":||"Lady of the Lake":||"The Crocodile":||"The Doctor":||"Tallahassee":||"Child of the Moon":||"Into the Deep":||"Queen of Hearts":||"The Cricket Game":||"The Outsider":|
|"In the Name of the Brother":||"Tiny":||"Manhattan":||"The Queen Is Dead":||"The Miller's Daughter":||"Welcome to Storybrooke":||"Selfless, Brave and True":||"Lacey":||"The Evil Queen":||"Second Star to the Right":||"And Straight On 'Til Morning":|
|Once Upon a Time: Season Three|
|"The Heart of the Truest Believer":||"Lost Girl":||"Quite a Common Fairy":||"Nasty Habits":||"Good Form":||"Ariel":||"Dark Hollow":||"Think Lovely Thoughts":||"Save Henry":||"The New Neverland":||"Going Home":|
|"New York City Serenade":||"Witch Hunt":||"The Tower":||"Quiet Minds":||"It's Not Easy Being Green":||"The Jolly Roger":||"Bleeding Through":||"A Curious Thing":||"Kansas":||"Snow Drifts":||"There's No Place Like Home":|
|Once Upon a Time: Season Four|
on the Edge
|"Unforgiven":||"Enter the Dragon":||"Poor|
|"Best Laid Plans":||"Heart of Gold":||"Sympathy|
|Once Upon a Time: Season Five|
|"The Dark Swan":||"The Price":||"Siege Perilous":||"The Broken Kingdom":||"Dreamcatcher":||"The Bear and the Bow":||"Nimue":||"Birth":||"The Bear King":||"Broken Heart":||"Swan Song":|
|"Souls of the Departed":||"Labor of Love":||"Devil's Due":||"The Brothers Jones":||"Our Decay":||"Her Handsome Hero":||"Ruby Slippers":||"Sisters":||"Firebird":||"Last Rites":||"Only You":||"An Untold Story":|
|Once Upon a Time: Season Seven|
|"Hyperion Heights":||"A Pirate's Life":||"The Garden of Forking Paths":||"Beauty":||"Greenbacks":||"Wake Up Call":||"Eloise Gardener":||"Pretty in Blue":||"One Little Tear":||"The Eighth Witch":||"Secret Garden":|
|"A Taste of the Heights":||"Knightfall":||"The Girl in the Tower":||"Sisterhood":||"Breadcrumbs":||"Chosen":||"The Guardian":||"Flower Child":||"Is This Henry Mills?":||"Homecoming":||"Leaving Storybrooke":|
|Once Upon a Time: Specials|
|"Magic is Coming":||"The Price of Magic":||"Journey to Neverland":||"Wicked is Coming":||"Storybrooke Has Frozen Over":|
|"Secrets of Storybrooke":||"Dark Swan Rises":||"Evil Reigns Once More":||"The Final Battle Begins":|
Note: "Archive" denotes archive footage.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.