A criminal, Brennan, takes his two sons, Liam and Killian, aboard a ship so they can travel the world. That night on the ship, he calms down a scared Killian during a storm at sea. Brennan soothes his son's fears by telling him there is nothing to be afraid of as long as he looks into his own heart and can decide what kind of man he wants to be one day. Killian decides he wants to be just like his father, and after Brennan promises to stay with him to ensure the lantern remains lit, he falls asleep. Sometime after, however, Brennan learns that, at the next port, people are waiting to apprehend him for his status as a fugitive thief. Thinking of only himself, he sells his sons into the ship's servitude and then escapes on a rowboat. ("Swan Song")
For a brief time, Brennan eludes his captors, until he is caught. He is put under a curse, and his soul travels to the Netherworld. While he is in a deep sleep, he hears a gentle woman, his nurse, speaking to him. They mutually fall in love, and she is able to break his curse with true love's kiss. He marries her, and she helps to change him from his old selfish ways. The couple have a son, who Brennan names Liam, in honor of one of the two sons he abandoned so long ago. Eventually, his wife becomes ill and dies of the plague, leaving him to raise Liam alone. While working as a bartender, as Brennan prepares to close up the tavern for the night, he discovers the last patron in the room is his grown son Killian, who has been sent by the Queen to kill him. Brennan explains what happened after he disappeared from the ship and the path that led him to changing into a better person. Seeing his father regret that he wasn't the parent he should have been, Killian softens towards him, deciding to spare him by giving him passage to elsewhere, as a way to trick the Queen into believing he is dead. Brennan thanks him, and asks him for a second transportation permit for Liam. The next night, Brennan tucks Liam into bed, calming his son by telling him the same thing he once told Killian. Killian comes to deliver the permits, and overhears his father's words and hears Liam's name. Believing that his father replaced his brother, Killian becomes enraged. Despite his father insisting that he's changed and that he named his son in honor of them both, Killian tosses the permits into a fire, then kills Brennan, choosing the Queen's promise of revenge over forgiving his father. Before succumbing to death, Brennan pleads with Killian, telling him it's never too late to become the man he wants to be. ("Child of the Moon", "Swan Song")
|Unknown||Brennan Jones †||Unknown †|
|Liam Jones †||Killian Jones||Emma Swan||Neal Cassidy †||Liam|
- Solid lines denote blood parent-child relationships
- Dashed lines denote marriage relationships and relationships that result in offspring
- † denotes the deceased
- Emma and Neal have never been married
- A scene was filmed for "Family Business" in which Hook tells Emma about how his father abandoned him and his brother when he was a child. The three of them were voyaging on a ship, and one morning the brothers awoke, and discovered that their father was not in the cabin. They searched the ship in vain, and discovered that their father had stolen a dinghy while they were sleeping. Although the scene was cut and is not considered canonical, an altered version of the story was later incorporated into the episode "Swan Song".
- When Brennan is reunited with Hook, he says, "How is this possible? I left nearly a century ago."; suggesting that Brennan left Killian sometime after 1883 (the curse was cast in 1983). This, however, contradicts what Hook says in "Family Business" (which takes place in 2013) and "Murder Most Foul", where Hook states that he is two hundred years old.
|Once Upon a Time: Season Two|
|"Broken":||"We Are Both":||"Lady of the Lake":||"The Crocodile":||"The Doctor":||"Tallahassee":||"Child of the Moon":||"Into the Deep":||"Queen of Hearts":||"The Cricket Game":||"The Outsider":|
|"In the Name of the Brother":||"Tiny":||"Manhattan":||"The Queen Is Dead":||"The Miller's Daughter":||"Welcome to Storybrooke":||"Selfless, Brave and True":||"Lacey":||"The Evil Queen":||"Second Star to the Right":||"And Straight On 'Til Morning":|
|Once Upon a Time: Season Five|
|"The Dark Swan":||"The Price":||"Siege Perilous":||"The Broken Kingdom":||"Dreamcatcher":||"The Bear and the Bow":||"Nimue":||"Birth":||"The Bear King":||"Broken Heart":||"Swan Song":|
|"Souls of the Departed":||"Labor of Love":||"Devil's Due":||"The Brothers Jones":||"Our Decay":||"Her Handsome Hero":||"Ruby Slippers":||"Sisters":||"Firebird":||"Last Rites":||"Only You":||"An Untold Story":|
|Once Upon a Time: Season Six|
|"The Savior":||"A Bitter Draught":||"The Other Shoe":||"Strange Case":||"Street Rats":||"Dark Waters":||"Heartless":||"I'll Be Your Mirror":||"Changelings":||"Wish You Were Here":||"Tougher Than the Rest":|
|"Murder Most Foul":||"Ill-Boding Patterns":||"Page 23":||"A Wondrous Place":||"Mother's Little Helper":||"Awake":||"Where Bluebirds Fly":||"The Black Fairy":||"The Song in Your Heart":||"The Final Battle Part 1":||"The Final Battle Part 2":|
- ↑ File:511BrennanLetterFlipped.png (flipped screenshot)
File:511BrennanLetter.png (original screenshot)
- ↑ Given Name BRENNAN. Behind the Name. Retrieved on September 30, 2018.
- ↑ Andrew Chambliss on the Season Four Blu-ray Audio Commentary for "Family Business"
- ↑ screenshot) (script photo) . "no worries. Here's the speech. Note, it's NOT canon (but maybe one day, consider it a work in progress)" (